Dear Computer Gurus,

Mostly dank memes.

Moderator: mogers

stealthlol
Clans: 4thR, g4n, xm, ptm, snowmen, NoGo, AYEBAYBAY, team99, 3h

Dear Computer Gurus,

Post by stealthlol » January 2013

After a recent format, Windows is forcing me to pay a $50 fee to activate my copy of Windows I already purchased 4 years ago. I refuse to do that. As a solution, I installed Ubuntu so that I could use the laptop at all. When any nVidia drivers are installed, it freezes after twenty seconds and needs a hard reset, only to freeze again. After researching it, that seems to be a really common issue. Now, I intended to use Wine to play steam games; however, if I can't install the drivers, obviously that's useless.

My knowledge of linux is minimal. I used it a lot in high school, not so much since then. I've managed to do simple things, but I'm stumped here.

To the questions:

1) Is there any way to install a set of drivers to allow me to play? I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. Would a different distribution of linux be more worthwhile?
2) Would it be easier/smarter to try and get a crack for windows? I have a disk that can install the OS (I'm pretty sure, at least), just no activation.

Cage
Clans: FurY, ( s )ttR. sQ , toggles, [38th], vVv

Re: Dear Computer Gurus,

Post by Cage » January 2013

I used WAT-removal or something like that to get rid of that stupid verify windows message, it worked great. I even get windows updates.

dogfire
Clans: - TP -, [R|L], [L.A.B], -{PC}- LIVEVIL, </3

Post by dogfire » January 2013

Don't use Linux for games, period. I've activated windows thousands (literally) of times and I've never had to pay (Nor has any of our customers) $50 to activate it. I guess my point is you can get around it easily. What method did you use to activate windows? Over the phone or over the Internet? What version of windows are you trying to activate?

mogers
Clans: rltw, 3h, rwb, ubad, GREASY DORKS, LcM, dgf, le.

Post by mogers » January 2013

Kevin, if you're going to frag you're going to need Windows. We need you buddy. Make it happen.

taylor
Donor
Clans: hh, mindflow, nfc, virgins in flannel, tiltmode, gskiLL

Post by taylor » January 2013

if you need a copy of windows 7 pm me

squatta
Admin
Clans: cXt, blacksheep, 45th, a0tp, 63rd, devil^, em0, ubad, sssx, mvpz, Greasy Dorks.

Post by squatta » January 2013

hatemakerr
Clans: Crew.Dod, sA, xm, AYE

Post by hatemakerr » January 2013

Pretty good fictitious story about how Kevin stomped out his computer during the bloodlust.

Not buying it.

stealthlol

dogfire wrote:Don't use Linux for games, period. I've activated windows thousands (literally) of times and I've never had to pay (Nor has any of our customers) $50 to activate it. I guess my point is you can get around it easily. What method did you use to activate windows? Over the phone or over the Internet? What version of windows are you trying to activate?

Windows 7 Professional. It was over the phone to some woman in India (twice) who barely spoke English. I don't know why they needed $50 to activate it. Probably a scam. Damn you outsourcing.

mogers wrote:Kevin, if you're going to frag you're going to need Windows. We need you buddy. Make it happen.

I've been trying to talk to you about it for like a week. You're always on snooze on steam and now I can't even find you on my list. I'm working on it.

hatemakerr wrote:Pretty good fictitious story about how Kevin stomped out his computer during the bloodlust.

Not buying it.

You caught me. You always knew how to see through my lies.

Sears wrote:http://thepiratebay.se/search/windows%207%20ultimate

Thank you good sir. I will be doing this immediately. Any idea if I can make it bootable from a flash drive? Otherwise I need to find a blank disk...

Thumbs up to all. I should have come here days ago instead of researching. Foolish me.

Joshinator
Clans: [38th], {DoZ}, )sC(, Dr.

Post by Joshinator » January 2013

Well, if you really wanted to play from Ubuntu,I'll present you with Wine.

http://www.winehq.org/

Generally it's very straightforward, and will work with a ton of windows applications. Steam is known to run well (last I checked), and I have used it for DoD. Only issue was back on ubuntu 8.04 my ingame mic sounded like crap, so if your the pubbing chatty type, it won't be optimal (though the issue is probably fixed by now).

But it seems your going with a cracked windows, so carry on.

stealthlol

Joshinator wrote:Well, if you really wanted to play from Ubuntu,I'll present you with Wine.

Generally it's very straightforward, and will work with a ton of windows applications. Steam is known to run well (last I checked), and I have used it for DoD. Only issue was back on ubuntu 8.04 my ingame mic sounded like crap, so if your the pubbing chatty type, it won't be optimal (though the issue is probably fixed by now).

I already had wine installed and ready to go, I just couldn't get passed the nvidia drivers.

Joshinator
Clans: [38th], {DoZ}, )sC(, Dr.

Post by Joshinator » January 2013

stealthlol wrote:
Joshinator wrote:Well, if you really wanted to play from Ubuntu,I'll present you with Wine.

I already had wine installed and ready to go, I just couldn't get passed the nvidia drivers.

This is exactly why I shouldn't skip lines while reading posts.

Pr0n
Clans: [M|475|M]

Post by Pr0n » January 2013

stealthlol wrote:
dogfire wrote:
Sears wrote:http://thepiratebay.se/search/windows%207%20ultimate

Thank you good sir. I will be doing this immediately. Any idea if I can make it bootable from a flash drive? Otherwise I need to find a blank disk...

Thumbs up to all. I should have come here days ago instead of researching. Foolish me.

YUMI muliboot creator, pretty cool tool for that kind of stuff.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

stealthlol

Thank you to everyone so far. One last hurdle to jump over. I have a bootable flash drive ready to install windows. However, my current hard drive is FAT32. I need it to be NTFS for windows. Is there some way to format the drive so that I can make it NTFS? When I go into the Windows install screen, the "format" option is grayed out, but "delete" is available. If I delete the partition, will installing windows be the same as creating a new one?

Looking forward to an awesome answer that will allow me to finish this up tomorrow morning! :)

mike
Clans: bTw, Legion, FLAWLESS, NastyVAG, MVPZ, angryface

Post by mike » January 2013

As I understand it, clicking delete will delete the current partition. Windows installer will then create the NTFS partition that you will use to install Windows on.

k4b00m
Clans: dpk, dgf

Post by k4b00m » January 2013

mike wrote:As I understand it, clicking delete will delete the current partition. Windows installer will then create the NTFS partition that you will use to install Windows on.

This. Delete that sucker!

stealthlol

You're all awesome. Up and running and back to normal.

Jb_
Clans: |NUDE|,-Nt-,hb-, mvjbz

Post by Jb_ » January 2013

While we are posting, does anyone know how to remove the windows 7 activation crap? I use to call in for windows xp and trick the people into making mine legit but with windows 7 its diffrent.

defrag
Clans: KSP-A, Team.SI, deadboLT, idleyez, |3h|

Post by defrag » January 2013

Jb_ wrote:While we are posting, does anyone know how to remove the windows 7 activation crap? I use to call in for windows xp and trick the people into making mine legit but with windows 7 its diffrent.

Google "Windows Loader" and download that.

mike
Clans: bTw, Legion, FLAWLESS, NastyVAG, MVPZ, angryface

Post by mike » January 2013

You could also try WAT Removal.

defrag
Clans: KSP-A, Team.SI, deadboLT, idleyez, |3h|

Post by defrag » January 2013

mike wrote:You could also try WAT Removal.

I wouldn't use that. Several versions in the past installed a backdoor trojan during the removal process.

Windows Loader is awesome, and even works on Windows 8 for those daring enough to use Microsoft's newest Vista-like failure.

stealthlol

defrag wrote:
mike wrote:You could also try WAT Removal.

I wouldn't use that. Several versions in the past installed a backdoor trojan during the removal process.

The torrent I had used Wat remover. Hope not I'm safe!

Jb_
Clans: |NUDE|,-Nt-,hb-, mvjbz

Post by Jb_ » January 2013

Yeh I used it, worked fine. Thanks guys.