Free Gaul

Mostly dank memes.

Moderator: mogers

rolyat
Clans: DRUGS

Free Gaul

Post by rolyat » May 2013

As some of you may know, Gaul has recently been placed in a county jail somewhere in Montana. He's being accused of committing several different types of fraud. For any of you that have personally met or talked to Andrew at a DoD lan in the past, this would sound pretty unexpected. Prior to his case this month, we were joking with him about when he would be back home in California to finish the TPG season with gskiLL. It just doesn't seem right. Andrew has explained the situation prior to his court date with several of us, and no one thought he would be sentenced to any jail time (based on his story). He just spent his 22nd birthday in jail on Friday.

So anyways.. The meaning of this thread is as follows:

Andrew's sister got in contact with me yesterday. I asked if there was anything that I could do to help Andrew, and she told me that it would be helpful to write letters about Andrew and his character. She forwarded me an address that anyone can send letters to. Anything you know about Andrew or the kind of guy he is can be written and sent to help him out. You can send them to Andrew before his sentencing (sometime in August), and hopefully he doesn't end up wrongfully accused. Anything can help a little bit. If you're willing to write a letter and need the address or small details on his situation, contact me through Steam or 1911.

Thanks

#freegaul

bewton
Clans: RBC, SAS, LCM, PANDEMIC, BNG. MARKOMANIA, BTW

Re: Free Gaul

Post by bewton » May 2013

Cool that you're doing this and taking the initiative to try to help. I really don't know him at all or I would write a letter.

Swiss
Clans: Super, bTw, LcM, DumbledoresARMY, iwa

Post by Swiss » May 2013

best of luck to him. from the tidbits ive heard, sounds like some crazy shit going on.

kirk
Clans: feat6, aids, x[m], ptm, snowmen, NoGo, GI, 50cal, moNster, te amo, gameslaves, winnfield, koala, iwa

Post by kirk » May 2013

It might be worth letting people know more about the situation. I mean, otherwise you're asking people to blindly send letters on behalf of someone who might be objectively guilty in some sort of legal situation which, for all we know, could have resulted in other people being harmed in some way. If that is the case, then it would be irresponsible for someone to be asked to stand up for this person without understanding the implications of his [alleged] crimes.

Basically, if there is evidence that he is guilty, it would be silly for someone to write a letter and say, "but he's a really nice guy!" Without knowing the full details, it's kind of sketchy to write a letter supporting the defendant. Remember there could be victims here, and if you are just showing absolute support for this person in a way that intends to reduce his sentence or the odds of him being convicted amidst legitimate evidence, then it's kind of spitting in the victim's face (or faces, if multiple victims).

I imagine some people might get pissy at this post because I'm not expressing unconditional support for someone in a legal bind, but welcome to the real world. I would never just blindly stick my neck out for someone if it's clear they messed up, which I am not saying he did, rather I am saying I have no idea; but before I would ever write a letter on someone's behalf, I would need a better idea of the situation, which we do not have.

Cliffs:

-Without more understanding of the situation, it makes no sense to show unconditional support for someone because for all we know he is objectively guilty of a crime which could have resulted in harming others (physically, financially, emotionally, etc.)

With that said, hopefully everyone affected by this comes out okay.

rolyat

alex kirk wrote:It might be worth letting people know more about the situation. I mean, otherwise you're asking people to blindly send letters on behalf of someone who might be objectively guilty in some sort of legal situation which, for all we know, could have resulted in other people being harmed in some way. If that is the case, then it would be irresponsible for someone to be asked to stand up for this person without understanding the implications of his [alleged] crimes.

Basically, if there is evidence that he is guilty, it would be silly for someone to write a letter and say, "but he's a really nice guy!" Without knowing the full details, it's kind of sketchy to write a letter supporting the defendant. Remember there could be victims here, and if you are just showing absolute support for this person in a way that intends to reduce his sentence or the odds of him being convicted amidst legitimate evidence, then it's kind of spitting in the victim's face (or faces, if multiple victims).

I imagine some people might get pissy at this post because I'm not expressing unconditional support for someone in a legal bind, but welcome to the real world. I would never just blindly stick my neck out for someone if it's clear they messed up, which I am not saying he did, rather I am saying I have no idea; but before I would ever write a letter on someone's behalf, I would need a better idea of the situation, which we do not have.

Cliffs:

-Without more understanding of the situation, it makes no sense to show unconditional support for someone because for all we know he is objectively guilty of a crime which could have resulted in harming others (physically, financially, emotionally, etc.)

Hence why I suggested contacting me via 1911 or Steam to hear further details. I don't want to post his whole situation on the forum for everyone to read.. I figure those who genuinely care will contact me for more information and an address.

Swiss
Clans: Super, bTw, LcM, DumbledoresARMY, iwa

Post by Swiss » May 2013

alex kirk wrote:It might be worth letting people know more about the situation. I mean, otherwise you're asking people to blindly send letters on behalf of someone who might be objectively guilty in some sort of legal situation which, for all we know, could have resulted in other people being harmed in some way. If that is the case, then it would be irresponsible for someone to be asked to stand up for this person without understanding the implications of his [alleged] crimes.

Cliffs:

thats why taylor said to message him to ask about the full details....

EDIT: taylor beat me to it but i still wanted to post this gif....

kirk
Clans: feat6, aids, x[m], ptm, snowmen, NoGo, GI, 50cal, moNster, te amo, gameslaves, winnfield, koala, iwa

Post by kirk » May 2013

rolyat wrote:Hence why I suggested contacting me via 1911 or Steam to hear further details. I don't want to post his whole situation on the forum for everyone to read.. I figure those who genuinely care will contact me for more information and an address.

Right, and that's probably the most respectful option, so that's a good call. Just making a statement for people who might join the "free gaul" train without knowing the details. If you do know the details, then of course my post will not apply to you.

cassinoroyale
Donor
Clans: d7, @ NeT, CNB, dW, MVPz, Owned, rr, dodod, iwa, 3h

Post by cassinoroyale » May 2013

That's something sad to read. Anyways, considering that he is innocent, I wish the best of mental and health fortitude not only to him but to his parents and close friends as well. Spending a birthday in the jail - especially he isn't gulty - can't seem to be a good thing in any fucking way. Godspeed and let the justice to be done.

motive
Clans: mafia, online thunder, axxium/50cal, 3h/LcM, mvpz, dodod

Post by motive » May 2013

:(

#freegaul

Jb_
Clans: |NUDE|,-Nt-,hb-, mvjbz

Post by Jb_ » May 2013

Maybe he can get a sweet chest tattoo while hes in there. And wht the fuck is he doing getting arrested in MONTANA when the kid lives in cali? Very confused :?

Theworst
Clans: ~Casual // Critical Mass // Exodus // Gentlemens Club // Midwinter // Duality~

Post by Theworst » May 2013

Who am I going to talk with about WoW now :(

#freegaul

mike
Clans: bTw, Legion, FLAWLESS, NastyVAG, MVPZ, angryface

Post by mike » May 2013

#freegaul

k4b00m
Clans: dpk, dgf

Post by k4b00m » May 2013

I talked to him about a month with kyran, and he was telling me bits and pieces of what happened. It's a pretty shitty situation to be in. Hope everything works out for him.

#freegaul

SKiNnTo
Clans: LAB, Shock&Awe,[sAs]

Post by SKiNnTo » May 2013

bewton wrote:Cool that you're doing this and taking the initiative to try to help. I really don't know him at all or I would write a letter.

GL Mr. Gaul!

squatta
Admin
Clans: cXt, blacksheep, 45th, a0tp, 63rd, devil^, em0, ubad, sssx, mvpz, Greasy Dorks.

Post by squatta » May 2013

talub told me about this the other day and I got all nerd-bonered and researched the situation for a few hours.

To clarify some stuff without going into details, gaul got mixed up in some fraudulent business stuff, but even though his role was indirect and minor he's still being held responsible.

It's also important to understand that he's no longer "accused", but was actually convicted by a jury of 3 federal crimes, with one carrying up to 5 years, and the other two 20 years a piece. So, he's in a tough spot.

But, character references can be helpful for a young person in his situation, as he doesn't have a criminal record and played a minor and indirect role in this particular scheme. His sentencing isn't until August, and it will in large part be up to the judge to decide, but technically he could face anywhere from a year or less to all the way up to 45 years in prison (highly unlikely).

If I had to make a guess, I'd say he's looking at 1-2 years with possibility of early release and 5-10 years probation.

:(

lolinus
Clans: Flawless
D.R.U.G.S
Gskill
#family

Post by lolinus » May 2013

Might also add, even if he do get sentenced, in case of an appeal our letters would help alot.

Just to clarify something without going into detail: The "main defendant" took all blame, but the jury believed that gaul must've known what was going on. Even though the main defendant said that was not the case. Source ~ court transcript

rehpyc
Clans: compLexity, LATELATELATE, THUNDER, gskiLL

Post by rehpyc » May 2013

Swiss wrote:
alex kirk wrote:wall of unnecessary, preachy text

fixed

kirk

Post by kirk » May 2013

See what Linus said is good stuff to know, and I might venture a guess that Gaul wouldn't mind if that is stated on a public forum.

rehpyc wrote:
Swiss wrote:
alex kirk wrote:wall of unnecessary, preachy text

fixed

We get it, we get it, you hate having to think.

defiance

Post by defiance » May 2013

I've had to write one of these letters for someone very close to me and I do feel as though they are helpful, so if any of you are good friends with gaul, I would encourage you to get with taylor. Talk him up as much as you can, without being obnoxious about it. From what I can recall, you definitely need to know the specifics of the situation, because you should mention how you would help the person out/be a part of their support system. Good luck.

nomis
Clans: moNster, DumbledoresARMY, iwa

Post by nomis » May 2013

That's a really shitty spot for him to be in, andrew doesn't belong in prison :(

Rambizzle
Clans: high.p, 3h, h8, LP^, jetty

Post by Rambizzle » May 2013

nomis wrote:That's a really shitty spot for him to be in, andrew doesn't belong in prison :(

squatta
Admin
Clans: cXt, blacksheep, 45th, a0tp, 63rd, devil^, em0, ubad, sssx, mvpz, Greasy Dorks.

Post by squatta » May 2013

Rambizzle wrote:
nomis wrote:That's a really shitty spot for him to be in, andrew doesn't belong in prison :(

stile
Clans: dpk

Post by stile » May 2013

don't break the law.

rolyat

Bump

I got in contact with Gaul's sister again, and she gave me an e-mail address to his attorney. The attorney said that letters could be e-mailed to her, and that they could help towards the hearing and sentencing. PM me on 1911 or Steam if you'd like the e-mail.