WORLD CUP 2014

Mostly dank memes.

Moderator: mogers

An1maL
Clans: unplugged!

WORLD CUP 2014

Post by An1maL » June 2014

Any of you care about soccer? who's gonna win?

USA have arguably the toughest group (germany, portugal, ghana), any americans remotely optimistic?

edit:sp
Last edited by An1maL on June 2014, edited 2 times in total.

nik
Clans: f33st

Re: WORLD CUP 2014

Post by nik » June 2014

Brasil

cassinoroyale
Donor
Clans: d7, @ NeT, CNB, dW, MVPz, Owned, rr, dodod, iwa, 3h

Post by cassinoroyale » June 2014

nik wrote:Brasil

That's the spirit Nik!

OP - The english team has a tough group too, specially because the players are not used with our unorthodox weather conditions and long flight distance for their group play matches if compared to Premier League matches. I do think that Belgium will surprise everyone and either Spain or Argentina will be the runner ups.

Bring it! 8-)

jigsawww
Clans: flawless,dazzle,dpk,drugs,gskill

Post by jigsawww » June 2014

mexico

Shoolta
Clans: ju52, reines ei, weakmind, htk <3, RenameD |

Post by Shoolta » June 2014

1 name "Lionel Messi" for everything else there masterd card, go home neymar, cr7 and others, argentina champs

An1maL

cassinoroyale wrote:
OP - The english team has a tough group too, specially because the players are not used with our unorthodox weather conditions and long flight distance for their group play matches if compared to Premier League matches.

heh, will be really surprised to exit the group. every cup the english media gets excited. but they have the shortest memories.... last world cup group stage this was our results:

england 1 - 1 USA
england 0 - 0 algeria
england 1 - 0 slovenia

terrible results in a far easier group than we have this time, and it was with a better team than we have now as well :D

it's hard to look past argentina and brazil to win but I kinda fancy germany for some reason

avenger
Donor
Clans: cosa, devil, hb, ve, insg, 38th, GiMP, ptm, seclusion, dgf, romantic tragedy, [?], MVPz, SaB, NB*

Post by avenger » June 2014

Sorry, I'm too busy watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmamoNP8DRY

milo
Clans: Liverpool Football Club

Post by milo » June 2014

I hope my Germans win it, but it doesn't look likely after a shit load of injuries :/

I can't wait for the World Cup to start, I think Croatia might get a result against Brasil today. VAMOS

ralle
Clans: elptha, [PO&Co]/escape-gaming, '.^., DEATHCLAN

Post by ralle » June 2014

tenks
Clans: baffleck[dd]

Post by tenks » June 2014

If we can beat Ghana, I'm optimistic, and think we have a chance to move out of the knockout stage. The strikers by committee that replaced Donovan have scored 4-5 goals collectively in the warmup matches going into the WC. So that right there is something to be happy about it.

Everyone said Portugal would roll over us in 2010 and they didn't. If we can beat Ghana, I think we have a good shot.

dogfire
Clans: - TP -, [R|L], [L.A.B], -{PC}- LIVEVIL, </3

Post by dogfire » June 2014

tenks wrote:If we can beat Ghana, I'm optimistic, and think we have a chance to move out of the knockout stage. The strikers by committee that replaced Donovan have scored 4-5 goals collectively in the warmup matches going into the WC. So that right there is something to be happy about it.

Everyone said Portugal would roll over us in 2010 and they didn't. If we can beat Ghana, I think we have a good shot.

lol

tugger
Clans: HYH, zeroethics, 22e, osK, iCON, NASTYvag

Post by tugger » June 2014

go netherlands! (im actually from there)

onax
Clans: over.raZer, prec!se.dod, Coolcode, DefineVision, EvC, RenameD, EZ!, king ~

Post by onax » June 2014

Spain. ;)

k4b00m
Clans: -=[Jaz Negrep Mafia]=-

Post by k4b00m » June 2014

I'm rooting for england, but secretly I don't give a shit about soccer futbol :oops:

cassinoroyale
Donor

milo wrote:I think Croatia might get a result against Brasil today. VAMOS

WRONG!

tenks
Clans: baffleck[dd]

Post by tenks » June 2014

That Japanese ref was the same one that had some bad calls in 2010 too right? he looks so fucking familiar.

He gave that game to brazil btw. ugly play.

Pr0n
Clans: [M|475|M]

Post by Pr0n » June 2014

milo wrote:I hope my Germans win it, but it doesn't look likely after a shit load of injuries :/

i hope for that also very much, but tbh anything less then half-finals would be a real disappointment. In my opinion the injury situation isn't as bad as displayed by media, even though the loss of Reuss really hurts, but still a world class team :p

milo
Clans: Liverpool Football Club

Post by milo » June 2014

cassinoroyale wrote:
milo wrote:I think Croatia might get a result against Brasil today. VAMOS

WRONG!

Dat Fred dive doe???

rymoz
Clans: koalaz, veracity!, 5.5, THUNDER

Post by rymoz » June 2014

What a fucking joke. I don't know what was worse, Brazil's diving or the terrible referees.

An1maL

that was a dissapointing game from the ref, but the goalie cost croatia the match! he should have been stronger to save that penalty, and the last goal was a shitty toepoke where he kinda just flopped to the floor at a glacial pace

cassinoroyale
Donor

An1maL wrote:that was a dissapointing game from the ref, but the goalie cost croatia the match! he should have been stronger to save that penalty, and the last goal was a shitty toepoke where he kinda just flopped to the floor at a glacial pace

I agree with the penalty (Nishimura's mistake but you should blame Fifa picking up referees from football backwaters, not Brazil), he should have defended. For the third goal, no. If you look at the replay the ball was really well placed and I don't think many goalkeepers would be able to save it. Maybe E. Van der Sar on his prime lol. The first goal was defensible though. Pletikosa jump save attempt was really delayed, costing him the chance of defense.

An1maL

cassinoroyale wrote: For the third goal, no. If you look at the replay the ball was really well placed and I don't think many goalkeepers would be able to save it. Maybe E. Van der Sar on his prime lol. The first goal was defensible though. Pletikosa jump save attempt was really delayed, costing him the chance of defense.

we're reading that differently, for the first goal at least he properly dived horizontally and still couldn't get it. for the third goal all he had to do was just get down since it was not even a body length away from him, plus the shot wasn't very powerful and from way outside the box! but you're right that his reaction speed was the problem too

Rambizzle
Clans: high.p, 3h, h8, LP^, jetty

Post by Rambizzle » June 2014

rymoz wrote:What a fucking joke. I don't know what was worse, Brazil's diving or the terrible referees.

Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be ok.

nhoj

Post by nhoj » June 2014

Brazil won this match thanks to the ref. A player who weighs 90kg does not fall that easy from a hand on his shoulder. I actually think Croatia deserved to win this match, because Brazil had periods when they was just playing awful. The trio Modric/Rakitic/Kovacic easily controlled the middle against Paulinho/Luis Gustavo/Hulk(expected more from him).
I had love to see Mandzukic play, to bad he was suspended.

An1maL wrote:that was a dissapointing game from the ref, but the goalie cost croatia the match! he should have been stronger to save that penalty, and the last goal was a shitty toepoke where he kinda just flopped to the floor at a glacial pace

Stipe Pletikosa is 35 years old, at that age your speed is not that good anymore. You can't really blame him for the 3rd goal.(Didn't watch the 2nd goal, can't argue about that one). The toepoke from Oscar had a really good precision considering he shot while running and not many goalkeepers expect that. Never underestimate a toepoke, it's actually very effective =)

Pletikosa performance was better than Júlio César.

scorch-
Clans: #[e]xceptional.dod ~ #check-six ~ #jetty ~ dodod

Post by scorch- » June 2014

Really? I thought the 3rd goal was good. Oscar struck the ball at a time when most goalies wouldn't expect a shot. Even I was surprised when he put it on goal. The 1st goal I thought he needed to do better on... it was so slow that he had time to take another step before diving but he just went to the ground and didn't make it far enough to get a touch.

The penalty was whatever... FIFA needs to suspend Fred (and all players that do that shit) for a game for that, because it's really fucking hard to tell if these professional actors are acting. To expect the refs to get every call right when the players are flopping around like fish is too much. I thought the goalie interference call against croatia was very light considering the penalty brasil was given though.

All sports should adopt hockey's way of calling dives. Call a penalty against the other team, but then also call them for embellishment to offset it. The way it's called now actually doesn't discourage diving at all.