getting better sounds in dod

Relax, lounge around, and find out who hacks.

Moderators: gloin, scorch-, darkrabbi, squatta, mogers

An1maL
Clans: unplugged!

getting better sounds in dod

Post by An1maL » September 2012

sup nerds. playing a bit more recently, i noticed my sounds were pretty shit compared to how i remember them back in the day, and i couldn't really tell where anybody is positionally anymore. apparently, windows 7/vista changed the way certain older games handle EAX sounds, seemingly including dod. in case it might help anyone with windows 7 and a creative soundcard that supports EAX, creative released a program called alchemy: http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/alchemy/ , and you can configure it to work with day of defeat. don't forget s_eax 1 in your config. made a big difference for me anyway
Last edited by An1maL on September 2012, edited 1 time in total.

cassinoroyale
Donor
Clans: d7, @ NeT, CNB, dW, MVPz, Owned, rr, dodod, iwa, 3h

Re: getting better sounds in dod

Post by cassinoroyale » September 2012

I just switched up my long time Win Xp to Win 7 and I'm struggling to make it look like my old Win Xp on regards to vga config and sens. I haven't really noted anything with the sounds though. I'm assuming that because I use a external sound card (Siberia 7.1) the sounds might not be changed at all since the sound is processed from there. Repped anyway :)

An1maL

dunno about that cass, i had an external steelsound 5hv2 USB soundcard and my sounds were shit on that too...like I couldn't distinguish between sounds in front/behind me, there was no positional sound. could be that siberia has done a fix within their drivers though!

cassinoroyale
Donor
Clans: d7, @ NeT, CNB, dW, MVPz, Owned, rr, dodod, iwa, 3h

Post by cassinoroyale » September 2012

yeah, hmmm...

i bookmarked your url and i'll definitely take a look as soon as i'm home!

Cage
Clans: FurY, ( s )ttR. sQ , toggles, [38th], vVv

Post by Cage » September 2012

I dont know if you know this Cass, but in win7 you have to go controlpanel>mouse and unbox the "enhance mouseprecision" because that is basically a mouseaccel.
I did that and was able to make the mouse feel the same way it did back when I used to play 1.6 on xp.

tenks
Clans: baffleck[dd]

Post by tenks » September 2012

An1maL wrote:sup nerds. playing a bit more recently, i noticed my sounds were pretty shit compared to how i remember them back in the day, and i couldn't really tell where anybody is positionally anymore. apparently, windows 7/vista changed the way certain older games handle EAX sounds, seemingly including dod. in case it might help anyone with windows 7 and a creative soundcard that supports EAX, creative released a program called alchemy: http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/alchemy/ , and you can configure it to work with day of defeat. don't forget s_eax 1 in your config. made a big difference for me anyway

woa...I took a 3 year break from DoD...and when I came back I installed it on my new Win7 box..I feel like I can never distinguish where sounds are coming from..It happens quit a bit in 12mans when I'm looking one way when I hear a sound, but it's really behind me and I get shot/knifed...I really thought it was just the broken game..maybe I was just getting rusty..But I'm seriously going to try this..I can't tell where anyone is coming from

An1maL

ye, it made a massive difference for me in being able to predict peoples location from footsteps! i got ding to test it aswell and it seemed to work for him too. inside alchemy you can add game and navigate to your dod folder, then move it over to the right hand side so it's under alchemy enabled games -> http://i.imgur.com/aa4c3.jpg

i did it for my "\day of defeat\" aswell as my "\day of defeat\dod" folder cos i'm not sure which is right.

CharlieGiteau
Clans: solidworks, pUr/fp^, gddLam, TeamLess, [38th], NB

Post by CharlieGiteau » September 2012

I find that I have to swing my gun around to get a better bearing sometimes. Just turning where you're aiming, from side to side, and it helps distinguish where they are. I use G35s, and its been horrid ever since.

DinG
Clans: elements, saintz, SOE, zOo, Best Friends

Post by DinG » September 2012

So, umm, what is that on your desktop An1 titled Wang experiment? :)

tenks

An1maL wrote:ye, it made a massive difference for me in being able to predict peoples location from footsteps! i got ding to test it aswell and it seemed to work for him too. inside alchemy you can add game and navigate to your dod folder, then move it over to the right hand side so it's under alchemy enabled games -> http://i.imgur.com/aa4c3.jpg

i did it for my "\day of defeat\" aswell as my "\day of defeat\dod" folder cos i'm not sure which is right.

Does this only work with creative sound cards?

An1maL

tenks wrote:
An1maL wrote:ye, it made a massive difference for me in being able to predict peoples location from footsteps! i got ding to test it aswell and it seemed to work for him too. inside alchemy you can add game and navigate to your dod folder, then move it over to the right hand side so it's under alchemy enabled games -> http://i.imgur.com/aa4c3.jpg

so long as the card supports EAX, it should be possible. I can't say if they work or not, but this article http://www.ehow.com/how_7690115_play-di ... vista.html seems to suggest there are alternatives for realtek and ASUS cards.

actually I'm just using my onboard mobo soundcard, but there's this thing called soundblaster x-fi MB which emulates a creative soundcard, and costs like 15$. has to be supported by the mobo though.

An1maL

DinG wrote:So, umm, what is that on your desktop An1 titled Wang experiment? :)

lol trust you to notice that, gayboy!

defrag
Clans: KSP-A, Team.SI, deadboLT, idleyez, |3h|

Post by defrag » September 2012

Alchemy is only for specific model cards such as the X-Fi series, Audigy 2 and below.

You would be surprised how many games use Alchemy.

I use the Titanium HD soundcard now and Alchemy isn't supported.

Also, I find that with some sets of my newer headphones, I can't play DoD with them because the soundstage gets so fucked up I have no idea where anyone is at. I have to rely on my trusty Sennheiser HD590s for DoD.

k4b00m
Clans: dpk, dgf

Post by k4b00m » September 2012

Hey, thanks a lot for this tip Animal. I just got it to work a few minutes ago. I just joined a pub and I can already hear the difference. Just to clarify though, you navigate to your "day of defeat" folder not your "dod" I tried "dod" first and it gave me an error in console about s_eax 1 failed.

Thanks again
<3 hot dog water

tenks

I have onboard audio...Realtek ALC892. 10.1 HD audio, supports all the major formats DTS DD etc. Its pretty good for what I use it for..How do I find out if its compatible with this?

Polak
Clans: online thunder

Post by Polak » September 2012

Step one, move out of europe.

Step two, buy PC in America.

Cage
Clans: FurY, ( s )ttR. sQ , toggles, [38th], vVv

Post by Cage » September 2012

If only I had enough money and a job connection, I would be in socal the next week..

Zoanth
Clans: eclipse, unplugged!

Post by Zoanth » November 2012

An1maL, how about you try using your aim instead of hacking with the sounds like usual?

Go with the default.. ;;;;)

aLpha.cn-[tang]
Clans: [P.L.A.], 9voLt, teamEmU, }{LoL}, Elite -DI-, NoGo

Post by aLpha.cn-[tang] » November 2012

An1maL wrote:
tenks wrote:

so long as the card supports EAX, it should be possible. I can't say if they work or not, but this article http://www.ehow.com/how_7690115_play-di ... vista.html seems to suggest there are alternatives for realtek and ASUS cards.

actually I'm just using my onboard mobo soundcard, but there's this thing called soundblaster x-fi MB which emulates a creative soundcard, and costs like 15$. has to be supported by the mobo though.

Tried using 3D Soundback for Realtek to try this out and, though it did help with 3D positioning, it just muffled everything for me. I'm pretty sure I configured it correctly and enabled both EAX and A3D (both on, one off one on configurations) and still got the same result. I tried increasing the overall volume, but it sounded disgusting.

hildebrand
Donor
Clans: {GSR}, prFnd, rmX., The Gentlemen, mtp, winnfield, |o/, akk!, iwa

Post by hildebrand » November 2012

no wonder you guys are so terrible!

lolinus
Clans: Flawless
D.R.U.G.S
Gskill
#family

Post by lolinus » November 2012

Or ssw 7.1?

Beas
Clans: Highball, TEC, pandemic, 63rd, 85th, nG, mvpz, k^3

Post by Beas » November 2012

Zoanth wrote:An1maL, how about you try using your aim instead of hacking with the sounds like usual?

Go with the default.. ;;;;)

ktp

Smithy
Clans: BAW

Post by Smithy » November 2012

I noticed awful sound positioning a few years ago and thought this doesn't sound like it used to on WON and early Steam. I assumed it must be me being retarded or something and didn't bother to follow it up.

I downloaded this and my in-game sounds seem to be delayed now. I walk, and a couple of seconds later I hear my footsteps...

mike
Clans: bTw, Legion, FLAWLESS, NastyVAG, MVPZ, angryface

Post by mike » November 2012

sounds like cheats.

knockout
Clans: gomi - dicE - revamped - dodod - gskiLL

Post by knockout » November 2012

I will not rest until all of beas' "ktp" posts get upvoted.