New DoD update..

Relax, lounge around, and find out who hacks.

Moderators: gloin, scorch-, darkrabbi, squatta, mogers

calli
Clans: EZ zOo DEATHCLAN Purple-Haze

New DoD update..

Post by calli » March 2013

Still trying to figure out what they have done. I'm guessing it's the same changes they did to CS couple of months ago.

Joshinator
Clans: [38th], {DoZ}, )sC(, Dr.

Re: New DoD update..

Post by Joshinator » March 2013

from the official DoD game hub:

We are storming the beaches with updates for both Day of Defeat titles today. The update today makes both games officially available for Linux and converts both games to the new SteamPipe content delivery system for a faster and smoother update process.

calli

Joshinator wrote:from the official DoD game hub:

We are storming the beaches with updates for both Day of Defeat titles today. The update today makes both games officially available for Linux and converts both games to the new SteamPipe content delivery system for a faster and smoother update process.

Allright. These are the changes I've noticed so far..
-I have 100.5 in fps for some reason.
-Wait for V-Sync setting in options along other HD settings.
-Custom crosshairs seems not to be working some say.
-When I first started DoD it made it fullscreen instead of aspect ratio, right now my windows is 800x600
-Added widescreen support for 640 but not 800, weird
-Added letters in "say".. for example å ä ö in swedish"
-m_rawinput 0/1
-In options you can choose weather or not you want Low video quality.. Only thing that chances is gl_texturmode.. From GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR to lower quality GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
Last edited by calli on March 2013, edited 3 times in total.

calli

-fps_overide in options.. looks promising.. hopefully now u can go 120 ingame aswell hertz on monitor
-they also have a "low visual setting for older graphic cards

OMG... fps_overide 1 and fps_max 120... Im so happy right now

Hudson`
Donor
Clans: cc, 38th, v!, 0|K, THUNDER

Post by Hudson` » March 2013

You mean they didn't spend months fixing the hitboxes? And the anzio bridge? And the meat locker? And the scope glitch? And nade glitches? And getting stuck on random objects then cratering?

WELL THEN.

calli

Hudson` wrote:You mean they didn't spend months fixing the hitboxes? And the anzio bridge? And the meat locker? And the scope glitch? And nade glitches? And getting stuck on random objects then cratering?

WELL THEN.

No idea since I just updated mine.

defiance

Post by defiance » March 2013

-They moved the DoD folder to steamapps > common > Half Life > dod
-YOU NEED TO SAVE YOUR CUSTOMXHAIR FILE BEFORE CONVERTING. It will delete your current one. After the conversion move it back to the sprites folder and replace the one it put in there. Then once you are in game, you need to check the box in the options menu that says Allow Custom Content
-Supposedly the "allow HD Models" causes choppiness in DoD. Uncheck this box apparently.

calli

I'm not jumping too high yet, but playing crappy servers with heavy doesnt force me to go 90 fps anymore. Looks as if that animation glitched is fixed. But not sure.

Playing heavy with 120fps so far feels amazingly smooth

scorch-
Clans: #[e]xceptional.dod ~ #check-six ~ #jetty ~ dodod

Post by scorch- » March 2013

New DoD update..

What is this, 2004?

milo
Clans: Liverpool Football Club

Post by milo » March 2013

They heard about Vegas lan, hence why there's a DoD update~

toxinatoR
Clans: THUNDER

Post by toxinatoR » March 2013

I did the update opened dod and it was nothing but a green screen.

Tin Bad
Clans: 187th, nbk, MM, TeamLess, Last Bullet, 38th, nRm¿

Post by Tin Bad » March 2013

defiance wrote: Then once you are in game, you need to check the box in the options menu that says Allow Custom Content

I don't have that checked but my xhairs still work fine. not sure what that does yet.

DanJhonson
Clans: |-| |-|, LiK3(-)3oSs, vVv

Post by DanJhonson » March 2013

This appears to be a decent thread on these updates (it is about cs 1.6, but the cvar changes apply here)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3079106

defiance

toxinatoR wrote:I did the update opened dod and it was nothing but a green screen.

add -nofbo to launch options per dan johnson's link. Worked for my laptop. Didnt have the issue on my desktop.

Tin Bad
Clans: 187th, nbk, MM, TeamLess, Last Bullet, 38th, nRm¿

Post by Tin Bad » March 2013

calli wrote:I'm not jumping too high yet, but playing crappy servers with heavy doesnt force me to go 90 fps anymore. Looks as if that animation glitched is fixed. But not sure.

Playing heavy with 120fps so far feels amazingly smooth

Mine caps at 500 something fps. But if I move it goes to upper 400's.

Ima try setting fps_max at 150 and see how that plays.

defiance

interesting note from that link dan,

Rates
They updated the netcode as well, everyone should use rate "100000", it is going to take some time before servers have maxrate set to 100 000 tho. They also updated default cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 60.

toxinatoR
Clans: THUNDER

Post by toxinatoR » March 2013

NEW GUIDE RELEASED AT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...31408794#34088
Downloadable version: http://ge.tt/6IjIbTa/v/0?c
Config: http://ge.tt/5tsGtaa/v/1

They call me vel0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idb6AmDSRZI
My mates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s4YHPjDPxU

NEW GUI!!
I'm finally done with my latest project: a GUI that has a ton of different functions (like ESL, CPL, Fnatic, and so on) that WORKS 100% with the latest beta. The GUI is optimized for 640 x 480, 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 resolutions! Please enjoy it! I also added CS Background maker v 3.0, and CS Color Scheme Editor v 3.0 so you can change background and colors!
Link:http://ge.tt/4X8tb5a/v/0
Screenshots:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9bb2vl&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29pqg7c&s=6
Disclaimer: The GUI was made using the AnkFest and ESL GUI's as base.
Edit: Since the last public release all GUI's have misplaced content like MOTD and spectator names. Everything else seems normal. Problem reported to alfred who, hopefully, is working on a fix.

GREEN COLOR = NEW CVAR/NEW FEATURE/SOMETHING EXPLAINED
RED COLOR = IMPORTANT FOR GAMEPLAY
ORANGE COLOR = ISSUE EXPLAINED

NEW CONTENT ISSUES
If you don't get the new content at all, just backup configs and whatever you need, then delete the cstrike folder. After that right click counter-strike in steam and delete local content. Then reinstall. Note that the new folder for counter strike is going to be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life\cstrike

GRAPHICAL ISSUES
First and foremost, most graphical related issues can be sorted by adding -nofbo and -nomsaa to launch options. -nofbo also fixes aspect ratio issues. If these don't work then try using gl_vsync 0. The latest steam update fixed most sprite-related issues.
THERE IS NOW A NEW CHECK BOX IN THE VIDEO OPTIONS, IT'S CALLED "LOW VIDEO QUALITY". CHECK THIS IF YOUR GAMEPLAY FEELS SLOW/CHOPPY/ODD!

WHITE SQUARES/ODD SPRITES/GREEN SQUARES
These problems usually exist because people are opted into just the cs 1.6 BETA. Please use both HL and CS betas, or then use neither. Use -nofbo in launch options as well, and update your video card drivers if nothing else works. The problems exist because of the new OpenGL rendering method.

SDL2.DLL PROBLEM
Exists because you are opted into only ONE beta, not both CS and HL. To get rid of the issue, join both betas or then don't join beta at all. Then verify game files / reinstall.

NEW PERFORMANCE CVAR
Set snd_noextraupdate to "1" by default, this value provides better performance for current PCs (C) Alfred. I haven't tested it myself, but I definitly suggest that everyone uses it!

TO FIX SCREEN FLICKERING:
Change your desktop resolution to the refresh rate you want, then problem fixed. (C) Alfred. You can also try fps_max 99.

THE NEW MOUSETHREAD LAUNCH OPTION AND CVAR EXPLAINED!!!
If you didn't use acceleration or RInput before the updates you might want to try out these new features. Alfred explains that without rawinput, the game takes the sensitivity from windows. For this he implemented a new launch option (Right click CS in steam --> properties --> launch options). It is called -mousethread. If you activate this you get access to the new cvar m_mousethread_sleep. If you set this to 1, CS is going to update your sensitivty 1000 times per second (1000hz). If you set it to 10 it will update 100 times per second (100hz). If you set it to 0 the game will try to update the mousemovement as fast as it possibly can (1000hz+). Alfred hasn't mentioned any suggested settings, but I figured setting it to 0 might be your best bet. If it feels odd, try changing m_mousethread_sleep between 1 and 10. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THAT m_rawinput 0 IS WORKING PERFECTLY IN THE LATEST PUBLIC RELEASE!!!!

NEW cl_filterstuffcmd CVAR
This is a very handy new cvar! By setting this to 1, you restrict how much the server is allowed to change in your config. Most notable features are that servers will be unable to change your binds and net settings. I strongly suggest setting it to 1!

NEW MINMODELS CVAR
To use the new minmodels you must have cl_minmodels 1. You can then choose specific models that the client will use. The values for these are kind of odd:

cl_min_ct X:
2 = GIGN
4 = GSG-9
7 = SAS
9 = SEAL
10 = SPETSNAZ (CZ)

cl_min_t X:
1 = ELITE
5 = GUERILLA
6 = ARCTIC
8 = PHOENIX
11 = MILITIA (CZ)

MOUSE CLICK ISSUE
The issue when the gun doesn't always fire when you press mouse1 should be fixed in the latest public release.

NEW HUD_FASTSWITCH CVAR
hud_fastswitch 0 = No fastswitch
hud_fastswitch 1 = Fastswitches on BOTH mousewheel and number keys
hud_fastswitch 2 = The old hud_fastswitch 1. Fastswitches ONLY on number keys, NOT mousewheel.

SNAPSHOT AND SCREENSHOT
Fixed in the latest public release.

SOUND ISSUES
While most of the sounds are OK, in-game voices are bugged atm. This is because they updated CS to use the same audio codec as Steam itself. THIS IS GOING TO BE FIXED!

MOVEMENT, AIMING AND FPS
Movement at fps over 100 is still a work in progress, but to get correct movement just type fps_max 99 and you're good to go. For aiming they implemented a new cvar in the beta, m_rawinput. m_rawinput 1 makes the computer use high quality, low latency input. m_rawinput 0 makes cs mouse movement the way it was before the beta. The issue when running slower than normal is also fixed! Fps_override 1 can be used to get more than fps_max 100. Movement over 100fps is still being fine-tuned but it has got MAJOR improvements, it's almost perfect

EVEN THO ALFRED REPORTED THAT THE -noforce COMMANDS WERE DEACTIVATED, MY FRIENDS DISAGREE. THEY SAY IT'S A HUGE DIFFERENCE WHEN USING THEM! TRY USING THEM IF MOUSE MOVEMENT FEELS ODD! MY FRIENDS RECOMMEND m_rawinput 1 with -noforcemaccel and -noforcemparms!

Rates
They updated the netcode as well, everyone should use rate "100000", it is going to take some time before servers have maxrate set to 100 000 tho. They also updated default cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 60.

GUIs AND OTHER CUSTOM CONTENT
To get rid of the CZ models, just go into settings inside counter-strike, choose video options and untick the HD model box. If you have a custom GUI then you need to delete the OptionsSubVideo.res file inside cstrike/resources to get the new video options. To get custom GUIs working you also need to check the "allow custom content" box in the video options.

GENERAL TIPS FOR NEW CVARS, REFRESH RATES, MOUSE OPTIONS ETC

If you want you can try to use 100+ fps. First use fps_override 1 then fps_max "desired framerate". Movement is going to be odd, but they are going to support it.
Valve removed the following crucial launch options:
all -noforce commands, -freq
If you want a custom mouse accel then you can either try using m_rawinput in the beta or m_customaccel 1 with m_customaccel_exponent X and m_customaccel_scale X, depending on how much accel you want. More about this later in the thread.

To get a refresh rate locked now is a bit trickier than before with the -freq command. You just manually have to download a program called refresh lock. It can be found on top google result. When using it you just need to tick the yes box in the upper left corner, and then tick the box on the right saying something like "automatic safe refresh rate configuration". This will automatically use your best refresh rate / resolution.

RESTORING MOUSE SETTINGS (I RECOMMEND THAT EVERYONE USES m_rawinput 1. IT HAS LOWER LATENCY AND HIGHER QUALITY THAN m_rawinput 0!)
If you want to play CS with the same sens that you had before the update you should try this:

If you used RInput before the updates, you can now use m_rawinput 1. Note that the code is the same in m_rawinput 1 and RInput 1.31!
(If I understand correctly, making sure m_customaccel is 0 is the equivalent of using the -noforce commands. If it still feels odd, try using m_rawinput 1.

If you used mouseacceleration then you can try:
m_customaccel 1
m_customaccel_max 0
m_customaccel_exponent 0. Here take your old windows sens and multiply it by 2. For example: before the update i was using 4/10 on windows, so i should set to 0.8
m_customaccel_scale 0.02
sensitivity The exact half of your old sensitivity cvar.
If this doesn't feel right then try with different numbers, eventually you're going to get it close enough )

When you are in a map (i.e connected to a server) you are limited to changing sensitivity at most once every 30 seconds, to prevent game exploits. (C) Alfred

I am defaulting m_rawinput to 1 on OSX and Linux as that is the much better experience. On win32 it will default to 0 still (though I prefer 1 ) (C) Alfred

STOP COMPLAINING
Most of these updates done by valve are really great. Withing a couple of weeks everything is going to be fixed. They have already fixed so many bugs, it is truely incredible. Please stop whining about them ruining cs, everything is going to be all right. The developers are online almost 24/7 and they are responding to new issues within minutes after they are being posted; I have myself reported 20 issues of which 10 have been taken into the game. If new solutions come up in this thread, I will add them to the main post. Also here is the changelog: http://steamcommunity.com/games/10/announcements. Check it out, most of the stuff is just awesome!

All statements in this thread about Valve going to support this and that is confirmed by Alfred.

LIST OF CHANGES:

March 6 (PUBLIC RELEASE!!!)
• Added support for localized player names, similar to the existing chat changes
• When m_customaccel is set scale mouse sensitivity when zoomed in, this now matches •the path when not using custom accel
• Make the spray list alphabetical order and enforce unique entries
• Set the update rate to 102 if we are clamping to its max value
• Increased default cl_cmdrate value to 60
• Increased default cl_updaterate value to 60
• Improved support for non-qwerty keyboard layouts
• Set snd_noextraupdate to "1" by default, this value provides better performance for current PCs
• Added support for hitting Ctrl-A to select all text in the game console
• Improved download status when doing a fast HTTP download
• Better filter between normal (4:3) and widescreen video modes in the video options dialog
• Marked cl_sidespeed as archived so it is automatically saved to your config.cfg
• Fixed MOTD context menu to have localization strings for available options and for make back/forward work
• Fixed screenshot and snapshot when running in "-nofbo" mode
• Fixed first mouse press sometimes getting lost after alt-tabbing back into the game
• Fixed in game view jumping when going out to the main game ui
• Fixed crash when using viewdemo commands on some hltv recorded demo files
• Fixed hitting A in the game console selecting all text in the game console
• Fixed mouse cursor being invisible if you toggled raw input mode at certain times
• Fixed HTML MOTD not displaying properly if you did a resolution change and then joined a server
• Fixed mouse movements getting clamped if raw input is disabled and you moved a large amount (more than 100 pixels) in a single frame
• Fixed being unable to use the " character when using PT-BR keyboard layouts, as it is on the same key as `. Now we ignore the console key if Shift is also pressed, if you don't want this behavior use the con_shifttoggleconsole cvar to disable it

March 5 (BETA)
• Fixed being unable to use the " character when using PT-BR layouts, as it is on the same key as `. Now we ignore the console key if Shift is also pressed, if you don't want this behavior use the con_shifttoggleconsole cvar to disable it
• Fixed view moving in game when going in and out of the game ui if raw input was not enabled
• Marked cl_sidespeed as archived so it is automatically saved to your config.cfg

March 5 (STEAM UPDATE!!)
• Counter-Strike owners can now join the CS Beta even if they don’t own Half-Life
• Fixed converting Counter-Strike to new content system if Half-Life was already converted
• Fixed validating Counter-Strike content to also include also all shared files from Half-Life

March 2 (Beta)
• Fixed issue getting kicked by CMD_MAXBACKUP error when joining servers

March 1 (Beta)
• Fixed HTML MOTD not displaying properly if you did a resolution change and then joined a server
• Fixed not being able to enter utf8 names into the game console if quotes didn't surround the name
• Fixed mouse movements getting clamped if raw input is disabled and you moved a large amount (more than 100 pixels) in a single frame)
• Increased default cl_cmdrate value to 60
• Increased default cl_updaterate value to 60

February 28 (Beta)
• Added support for localized player names, similar to the existing chat changes
• Fixed crash when using viewdemo commands on some hltv recorded demo files
• Fixed hitting A in the game console selecting all text in the game console
• Fixed mouse cursor being invisible if you toggled raw input mode at certain times

February 27, 2nd update (BETA)
• We have released a Beta update for Counter-Strike 1.6. This is a small update that addresses the mouse click issue introduced by the last beta update when running in Raw Input mode.

February 27 (BETA)
• Set snd_noextraupdate to "1" by default, this value provides better performance for current PCs
• Added support for hitting Ctrl-A to select all text in the game console
• Improved download status when doing a fast HTTP download
• Better filter between normal (4:3) and widescreen video modes in the video options dialog
• Fixed first mouse press sometimes getting lost after alt-tabbing back into the game
• Fixed Delete key not working in the game console
• Fixed in game view jumping when going out to the main game ui

February 25 (BETA)
• Improved support for non-qwerty keyboard layouts

February 21 (BETA)
• Added new "-mousethread" command line option, if set we poll the mouse position in another thread running at 100hz by default, to get better movement accuracy. Set the "m_mousethread_sleep" cvar to the number of seconds to sleep between mouse polls to change this rate
• Added "cl_filterstuffcmd" cvar, when set to 1 this enables stricter checking of commands the game server can execute on your client
• When m_customaccel is set scale mouse sensitivity when zoomed in, this now matches the path when not using custom accel
• Make the spray list alphabetical order and enforce unique entries
• Set the update rate to 102 if we are clamping to its max value
• Fixed MOTD context menu to have localization strings for available options and for make back/forward work
Fixed screenshot and snapshot when running in "-nofbo" mode

February 20 (PUBLIC RELEASE!)

• Returned mouse input to using windows messages rather than raw input by default, this should correct the sensitivity change people have seen
• Added a "Raw Input" checkbox in the Mouse tab of the Options dialog. This button toggles the "m_rawinput" cvar. If selected raw input API's will be used to get mouse input, usually with lower latency but missing the post processing from your OS's Window manager
• Added a "Low video quality" option in the Video tab of the Options dialog. Use this check box if you have an older GPU and want to trade off visual quality for FPS
• Re-enabled a fps cap of 100. You can override this behavior if you want to run faster by setting fps_override to "1" but some mods may not behave properly
• Added support for binding the multiply key on the numeric keypad, the engine bind name for this new key is "kp_mul"
• Added support for binding Windows key, key name "win". Be careful binding this key, your OS may also act on presses from it
• Made keypad enter key activate an item when pressed in the server browser
• Made the "timerefresh" command require sv_cheats be set for its use. This command is for developer profiling and shouldn't be generally used
• Extended hud_fastswitch options. 0 means no fast switch, 1 means switch on both number keys and mouse wheel, 2 means on do fast switch when using number keys
• Added listing of games from the cstrike_downloads folder in the New Game dialog
• Added "speak_enabled" cvar, if set to 0 then the "spk" and "speak" commands are disabled
• Added "edicts" option to liblist.gam file, for use in mods that want more than 900 entities in their maps
• Increased supported entity count in Counter-Strike 1.6 to 1800
• Improved HTTP download performance
• Improved movement when running at more than 100fps
• Removed now unused sv_voicecodec and sv_voicequality cvars
• Renamed gl_ztrick cvar to gl_ztrick_old, usage of this cvar is deprecated and caused rendering issues

Fixes in this update include:

• Fixed cl_minmodels not applying after being on a server for a while
• Fixed left shift key presses not detecting properly
• Fixed viewdemo command causing a crash
• Fixed load dialog in viewdemo command not actually loading the demo
• Fixed Player List dialog not allowing you to mute a player
• Fixed crash on restart if you had the serverbrowser active
• Fixed mouse cursor sometimes not appearing when using the spectator UI
• Fixed double entries in the sprays list pulldown under options
• Fixed crash if Windows OS level DEP setting was turned on for all programs and you ran in software mode
• Fixed spectator UI being truncated when running in higher resolutions
• Fixed downloading of content from servers via HTTP, both if you got a 404 error on one of the links or the file was in the base download folder
• Fixed some commands writing config files to a bad path
•Fixed corruption of text input when hitting backspace while composing a message
• Fixed mouse clicks sometimes being lost

milo
Clans: Liverpool Football Club

Post by milo » March 2013

DoD feels amazingly smooth :shock:

Quikey
Clans: .

Post by Quikey » March 2013

milo wrote:DoD feels amazingly smooth :shock:

This.

Joshinator
Clans: [38th], {DoZ}, )sC(, Dr.

Post by Joshinator » March 2013

Turning off the wait for vertical sync option in the video menu will bring your mouse setting back to what they were it seems. With vsync on, mouse movements should be very swooshy. Without it'll be beautiful old DoD again.

knockout
Clans: gomi - dicE - revamped - dodod - gskiLL

Post by knockout » March 2013

My dod hasn't updated. wat.

nik
Clans: f33st

Post by nik » March 2013

defiance wrote:-They moved the DoD folder to steamapps > common > Half Life > dod
-YOU NEED TO SAVE YOUR CUSTOMXHAIR FILE BEFORE CONVERTING. It will delete your current one. After the conversion move it back to the sprites folder and replace the one it put in there. Then once you are in game, you need to check the box in the options menu that says Allow Custom Content
-Supposedly the "allow HD Models" causes choppiness in DoD. Uncheck this box apparently.

Joshinator wrote:Turning off the wait for vertical sync option in the video menu will bring your mouse setting back to what they were it seems. With vsync on, mouse movements should be very swooshy. Without it'll be beautiful old DoD again.

thx, those things fixed my problems. Game still feels different. Smoother, but maybe also slower.

lowcarb
Clans: ghadGaming

Post by lowcarb » March 2013

i think the only question that matters is... does l0ry still work?

lolinus
Clans: Flawless
D.R.U.G.S
Gskill
#family

Post by lolinus » March 2013

VAC was also updated, so calm down now.