ruthLess down

Relax, lounge around, and find out who hacks.

Moderators: gloin, scorch-, darkrabbi, squatta, mogers

knockout
Posts: 1104
Joined: March 2012
Reputation: 3
Clans: gomi - dicE - revamped - dodod - gskiLL
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by knockout » August 2013

crawtona wrote:
akiro wrote:But who knows maybe the issue is now people have to learn to adjust and are mad?


I don't know. I'm still not convinced it would actually make sense to use it in the way that it supposedly causes an unfair advantage, but either way, they aren't going to reverse the rule or anything so I guess the only thing to do is remember to unbind it (and then get stuck on small ledges while scrolling through my weapons like an idiot for a week or two).


There you go!

crawtona
Posts: 313
Joined: February 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: deadboLT, gg#awfulworks, careface, sadface, nihilist, ez5, zeroethics, [~]

Re: ruthLess down

Post by crawtona » August 2013

knockout wrote:
Just because it's illegal, doesn't mean it should be. Plus, I was being sarcastic to make a point. The point being, you are banning a mechanic of the game based on your belief that said mechanic should require a higher amount of difficulty to achieve or gives some unfair advantage (even though everybody is just as capable of using it). Just like pubs want you to mash your number keys instead of the quickswitch button.


I know you were being sarcastic. I was just pointing out how weak your point was.

First off, this was banned years ago when it was discovered. And guess what? There was no outrage against it, because it is obvious how it ruins the game. When a player model is constantly going between duck and standing, their hitboxes are constantly switching from duck hitboxes to standing hitboxes. There is no fluid movement for these, so you're basically playing hitbox roulette when you try to shoot a player who is doing this. This is why this bind has been, is, and will remain illegal.

Secondly, it absolutely should require a higher amount of difficulty to achieve this. This is breaking the fundamentals of a FPS game, and making yourself very hard to hit should not be as easy as tweaking a bind. Doesn't that seem a little bit like making your recoil easier to control by tweaking a command? Just because everyone is capable of doing it doesn't mean it should be done. Everyone is capable of aimbotting, but I don't think it's a good idea to allow that.


I guess I see binding one action to a key via the built in GUI in order to better utilize a built in feature of the game as being much different than loading/writing a full on script in your config in order to eliminate a built in function of the game, yes. I also don't see how using it in the manner that would supposedly "screw up" your hit boxes would ever be an actual beneficial thing to do.

It doesn't really matter though. As I said in my previous post, and you reiterated in that oh so beautiful bold: "...[it] will remain illegal." The actual effect, or lack thereof, is pretty much irrelevant, and I never did enjoy pissing into the wind that much.

shoguNtw
Posts: 290
Joined: June 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: dgf, slow loris, ta, iwa, legion, super. gsr, flatout
Location: canada

Re: ruthLess down

Post by shoguNtw » August 2013

sloth wrote:from this:

shoguNtw wrote:
mike wrote:Still don't understand why he left iwa roster. It's only a 3 week suspension.. it's not the end of the world lol..

It's time to hang it up for a while, as much as I didn't like the suspension it's not the biggest reason I left. Working a lot nowadays and the time away from work I need to be spending with my son and little family I have, I'll be turning the team over to Austin/ Bewton for the remainder of this season

bullgooselooney wrote:
mike wrote:Still don't understand why he left iwa roster. It's only a 3 week suspension.. it's not the end of the world lol..

It could have been a lot worse. Ditch your team cause of 3 matches is sad. I bet people also think jump scripts are legal :lol:.

I'm sorry dod isn't the #1 priority in my life


to this:

shoguNtw wrote:I've changed my mind already because my serious suspension was shortened to 2 weeks and because I believe we can win this season. Even though apparently some admins wanted me banned longer for my harmless bind. Let the rustling begin


viewtopic.php?t=2610

youre making your way up the troll ladder quite fast arent ya

User avatar
sloth
Posts: 236
Joined: July 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: proFound, tA, dynasty, bvc, legion, super, sunnyville

Re: ruthLess down

Post by sloth » August 2013

shoguNtw wrote:
sloth wrote:from this:

shoguNtw wrote:
mike wrote:Still don't understand why he left iwa roster. It's only a 3 week suspension.. it's not the end of the world lol..

It's time to hang it up for a while, as much as I didn't like the suspension it's not the biggest reason I left. Working a lot nowadays and the time away from work I need to be spending with my son and little family I have, I'll be turning the team over to Austin/ Bewton for the remainder of this season

bullgooselooney wrote:
mike wrote:Still don't understand why he left iwa roster. It's only a 3 week suspension.. it's not the end of the world lol..

It could have been a lot worse. Ditch your team cause of 3 matches is sad. I bet people also think jump scripts are legal :lol:.

I'm sorry dod isn't the #1 priority in my life


to this:

shoguNtw wrote:I've changed my mind already because my serious suspension was shortened to 2 weeks and because I believe we can win this season. Even though apparently some admins wanted me banned longer for my harmless bind. Let the rustling begin


viewtopic.php?t=2610

youre making your way up the troll ladder quite fast arent ya


i'm sorry ruthLess, but your behavior simply begs to be made fun of

Spoiler: show
it's all in good fun though :D


cassinoroyale
Donor
Posts: 1795
Joined: May 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: d7, @ NeT, CNB, dW, MVPz, Owned, rr, dodod, iwa, 3h
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by cassinoroyale » August 2013

sloth wrote:i'm sorry ruthLess, but your behavior simply begs to be made fun of
Spoiler: show
it's all in good fun though :D



Image

got pissed for not reading "Watch your language" in your spoiler.

arnsk
Posts: 74
Joined: March 2012
Reputation: 0
Clans: hsb laudable thunder Eximius MindScape mugNmouse eMg miLe
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by arnsk » August 2013

That's probably the most unreasonable ban I've seen in my opinion. I used to play a ton of kz_maps or surf_maps, having crouch bound to +mwheelup/down is a necessity. If you DON'T you are simply behind the curve. When you play high level counter-strike I can promise you there is a more broad group of players who will say learning how to strafe jump etc. is a fundamental part of understanding the movement aspect of HL1 mods. IMO crouch/duck hopping etc. is just AS important as it helps you reach objectives more efficiently without absolutely burning your stamina.

That kind of mind set fits well strategically in a video game like this. I don't think it effects the game negatively. I don't see it being a problem. If that's the case ban crouch-hop-shots because I have been using mwheel for +duck for years.

arnsk
Posts: 74
Joined: March 2012
Reputation: 0
Clans: hsb laudable thunder Eximius MindScape mugNmouse eMg miLe
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by arnsk » August 2013

Also want to add that people seem to shoot me fine, I still get shot in the face for making OGL plays.

Jakimo
Posts: 522
Joined: May 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: l2r . , Jim's|, FurY, ( s )ttR., sQ, HH, vVv

Re: ruthLess down

Post by Jakimo » August 2013

let us keep something!
please dont ban crouch hop shots. just please.

avenger
Donor
Posts: 682
Joined: April 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: cosa, devil, hb, ve, insg, 38th, GiMP, ptm, seclusion, dgf, romantic tragedy, [?], MVPz, SaB, NB*
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by avenger » August 2013

nm i should've read arns post xD ignore my idiocy.

scorch-
Moderator
Posts: 1461
Joined: January 2011
Reputation: 3
Clans: #[e]xceptional.dod ~ #check-six ~ #jetty ~ dodod
Location: ventura,ca
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by scorch- » August 2013

arnsk wrote:When you play high level counter-strike I can promise you there is a more broad group of players who will say learning how to strafe jump etc. is a fundamental part of understanding the movement aspect of HL1 mods. IMO crouch/duck hopping etc. is just AS important as it helps you reach objectives more efficiently without absolutely burning your stamina.


What the fuck are you talking about? Why do you need to bind +duck to mwheel to crouch hop over obstacles? Crouch hopping is not banned. Binding the command to mwheel and spamming it while running (just like spamming hand signals) is illegal because it's stupid and breaks the game.

knockout
Posts: 1104
Joined: March 2012
Reputation: 3
Clans: gomi - dicE - revamped - dodod - gskiLL
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by knockout » August 2013

I guess I see binding one action to a key via the built in GUI in order to better utilize a built in feature of the game as being much different than loading/writing a full on script in your config in order to eliminate a built in function of the game, yes.


Seriously? The built in feature of the game is to crouch. Not to hop around and ruin the physics of the game. You can enhance recoil control with one simple command. You don't need to write/load a script.

I also don't see how using it in the manner that would supposedly "screw up" your hit boxes would ever be an actual beneficial thing to do.


Again, seriously? If your hitboxes are in an area where your player model isn't, that means an enemy player can shoot your model and not register a hit. I didn't think I'd really have to explain this.

knockout
Posts: 1104
Joined: March 2012
Reputation: 3
Clans: gomi - dicE - revamped - dodod - gskiLL
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by knockout » August 2013

arnsk wrote:That's probably the most unreasonable ban I've seen in my opinion. I used to play a ton of kz_maps or surf_maps, having crouch bound to +mwheelup/down is a necessity. If you DON'T you are simply behind the curve. When you play high level counter-strike I can promise you there is a more broad group of players who will say learning how to strafe jump etc. is a fundamental part of understanding the movement aspect of HL1 mods. IMO crouch/duck hopping etc. is just AS important as it helps you reach objectives more efficiently without absolutely burning your stamina.

That kind of mind set fits well strategically in a video game like this. I don't think it effects the game negatively. I don't see it being a problem. If that's the case ban crouch-hop-shots because I have been using mwheel for +duck for years.


Hey arn, former high level counter-strike player here. If you would ask anyone in the top leagues of cs, they would tell you "lol it's illegal to bind mousewheel to duck." Strafe jumping and overall movement aspects, as you put it, does not include binding duck to mousewheel. It's illegal. It's against the rules. It's giving a player an unfair advantage and screwing with the way the game is played. It is a suspendable offense. It is never allowed in competitive play.

Hudson`
Donor
Posts: 420
Joined: February 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: cc, 38th, v!, 0|K, THUNDER
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: ruthLess down

Post by Hudson` » August 2013

Is knockout using invisible ink or something? Are people not even reading his posts? Because I'm pretty sure he's nailed it like 5 or 6 times now.

Let's note the difference between theory and practice here. In broad stroke theory, it's completely absurd to make a rule saying that you can bind a particular command to any key you want except this one. This is some George Carlin Seven Dirty Words shit, right? People should be able to customize their settings amirite? Philosophically, I'm with you, bros.

Hmmm...but wait....I wonder what would happen if someone abused this bind? I know, sounds crazy, but lets Gedanken this shit for a moment...

knockout wrote: When a player model is constantly going between duck and standing, their hitboxes are constantly switching from duck hitboxes to standing hitboxes. There is no fluid movement for these, so you're basically playing hitbox roulette when you try to shoot a player who is doing this....... If your hitboxes are in an area where your player model isn't, that means an enemy player can shoot your model and not register a hit. I didn't think I'd really have to explain this.


Welp then. That pretty much fucking clears it up, don't it?

Also, because I can't resist

arnsk wrote:That's probably the most unreasonable ban I've seen in my opinion. I used to play a ton of kz_maps or surf_maps, having crouch bound to +mwheelup/down is a necessity. If you DON'T you are simply behind the curve.


Yeah. Totally. Let's build our rulebook for competitive DoD on what works -- in a different game -- for maps where the goal is to climb your electronic character to the top of a giant beanpole in the sky.

shoguNtw
Posts: 290
Joined: June 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: dgf, slow loris, ta, iwa, legion, super. gsr, flatout
Location: canada

Re: ruthLess down

Post by shoguNtw » August 2013

arnsk wrote:That's probably the most unreasonable ban I've seen in my opinion. I used to play a ton of kz_maps or surf_maps, having crouch bound to +mwheelup/down is a necessity. If you DON'T you are simply behind the curve. When you play high level counter-strike I can promise you there is a more broad group of players who will say learning how to strafe jump etc. is a fundamental part of understanding the movement aspect of HL1 mods. IMO crouch/duck hopping etc. is just AS important as it helps you reach objectives more efficiently without absolutely burning your stamina.

That kind of mind set fits well strategically in a video game like this. I don't think it effects the game negatively. I don't see it being a problem. If that's the case ban crouch-hop-shots because I have been using mwheel for +duck for years.

akiro
Posts: 490
Joined: July 2012
Reputation: 0
Clans: 20id, hb, deadbolt, bubbles, 151

Re: ruthLess down

Post by akiro » August 2013

No, come back in two weeks.

Jb_
Posts: 948
Joined: March 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: |NUDE|,-Nt-,hb-, mvjbz

Re: ruthLess down

Post by Jb_ » August 2013

You can join my team bros.

mike
Posts: 386
Joined: April 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: bTw, Legion, FLAWLESS, NastyVAG, MVPZ, angryface
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by mike » August 2013

arnsk wrote:That's probably the most unreasonable ban I've seen in my opinion. I used to play a ton of kz_maps or surf_maps, having crouch bound to +mwheelup/down is a necessity. If you DON'T you are simply behind the curve. When you play high level counter-strike I can promise you there is a more broad group of players who will say learning how to strafe jump etc. is a fundamental part of understanding the movement aspect of HL1 mods. IMO crouch/duck hopping etc. is just AS important as it helps you reach objectives more efficiently without absolutely burning your stamina.

That kind of mind set fits well strategically in a video game like this. I don't think it effects the game negatively. I don't see it being a problem. If that's the case ban crouch-hop-shots because I have been using mwheel for +duck for years.


Doing something for years doesn't make it right.

stile
Posts: 1018
Joined: April 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: dpk

Re: ruthLess down

Post by stile » August 2013

Based off first hand experience, using the mousewheel to crouch hop doesn't make a huge difference in hit registry. I've used it since dpk and still manage to go negative. I would have kept it bound if kaboom hadn't told me before the match it was illegal. Unbinding it was probably the main reason why I did so shitty that match. I'd prefer it wasn't illegal as I don't think it makes as big a difference as some people appear to claim and I wouldn't be so shitty.

Other cvar's like lightgamma I understand, but to my knowledge DoD was patched and lightgamma can't be changed anymore. I used to play with lightgamma back in the day also and figured everyone else did as well so it wasn't a huge deal. Come to think of it I also changed my m_pitch haha.

I like your style sloth. Keep doing what you're doing.

User avatar
mogers
Moderator
Posts: 1360
Joined: February 2003
Reputation: 1
Clans: rltw, 3h, rwb, ubad, GREASY DORKS, LcM, dgf, le.
Location: Lexington, KY
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by mogers » August 2013

stile wrote:Unbinding it was probably the main reason why I did so shitty that match.

Image

shoguNtw
Posts: 290
Joined: June 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: dgf, slow loris, ta, iwa, legion, super. gsr, flatout
Location: canada

Re: ruthLess down

Post by shoguNtw » August 2013

stile wrote:Based off first hand experience, using the mousewheel to crouch hop doesn't make a huge difference in hit registry. I've used it since dpk and still manage to go negative. I would have kept it bound if kaboom hadn't told me before the match it was illegal. Unbinding it was probably the main reason why I did so shitty that match. I'd prefer it wasn't illegal as I don't think it makes as big a difference as some people appear to claim and I wouldn't be so shitty.

Other cvar's like lightgamma I understand, but to my knowledge DoD was patched and lightgamma can't be changed anymore. I used to play with lightgamma back in the day also and figured everyone else did as well so it wasn't a huge deal. Come to think of it I also changed my m_pitch haha.

I like your style sloth. Keep doing what you're doing.

there is no way to prove it does anything to hit boxes. i was told there was nothing admins could do to detect the bind until now but yet it has been illegal for how long? fucks the point of the rule if you there was no way to find out someone was using the bind. it has been illegal for a long time now and this is the first suspension ive seen from it...lol

Yaso
Posts: 297
Joined: July 2011
Reputation: 0
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by Yaso » August 2013

shoguNtw wrote:there is no way to prove it does anything to hit boxes. i was told there was nothing admins could do to detect the bind until now but yet it has been illegal for how long? fucks the point of the rule if you there was no way to find out someone was using the bind. it has been illegal for a long time now and this is the first suspension ive seen from it...lol


Handle: SnoopS
Team: Veni Vidi Vici
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:67157511
Start Date: Aug 05 2013
End Date: Aug 26 2013
Rule Violation: 7.4
Reason: Use of an Illegal Bind in a TPG Match


You may have been the first shotgun, but probably won't be the last.

motive
Posts: 811
Joined: February 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: mafia, online thunder, axxium/50cal, 3h/LcM, mvpz, dodod
Location: nj
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by motive » August 2013

shoguNtw wrote:fucks the point of the rule if you there was no way to find out someone was using the bind.


Most people follow the rules just because they're the rules, not because they'll get caught.

cassinoroyale
Donor
Posts: 1795
Joined: May 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: d7, @ NeT, CNB, dW, MVPz, Owned, rr, dodod, iwa, 3h
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by cassinoroyale » August 2013

motive wrote:
shoguNtw wrote:fucks the point of the rule if you there was no way to find out someone was using the bind.

Most people follow the rules just because they're the rules, not because they'll get caught.

mike?
Posts: 15
Joined: October 2012
Reputation: 0
Clans: none

Re: ruthLess down

Post by mike? » August 2013

Y'ALL THINK THIS IS A FUCKING GAME?

avenger
Donor
Posts: 682
Joined: April 2011
Reputation: 0
Clans: cosa, devil, hb, ve, insg, 38th, GiMP, ptm, seclusion, dgf, romantic tragedy, [?], MVPz, SaB, NB*
Contact:

Re: ruthLess down

Post by avenger » August 2013

mike? wrote:Y'ALL THINK THIS IS A FUCKING GAME?


Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests