Bring it Back

Relax, lounge around, and find out who hacks.

Moderators: gloin, scorch-, darkrabbi, squatta, mogers

nomis
Clans: moNster, DumbledoresARMY, iwa

Bring it Back

Post by nomis » September 2014

So. What if we did change the default match day to Wednesday, like it used to be? Sunday is generally the one day off for people who work business days, where you can spend quality time with significant people in our life, relax, and not have to ditch anyone for an hour or two to play a video game. We're all grown up now for the most part. There's no new kids installing dod 1.3, who have any intention of going beyond pubbing, if there even is any new people installing the game in general. A lot of us probably work the 9-5, and could actually fit in a short session on a non-significant day during the week. Wednesday seems like it would be perfect.

If you're like me, and work in certain industries ( I cook ), and have to work almost every friday, saturday, sunday, often nights.. Sunday matches don't work at all. There was no way I could really manage a team in this day and age if I'm completely busy with work during this part of the week, and not being able to play on the default day totally defeats the purpose. My weekend is usually anywhere from monday-wednesday. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has these responsibilities. As for the people who work day jobs, and have the evening off.. I think this is a better solution.

This is never going to be completely competitive like it was, if anything, it's going to be completely casual. One match a week on a night where we can spend an hour nerding out. From this point onward, there probably won't be teams so stacked, because it's going to be casual. Show up, once a week, play, have fun, and enjoy one of the best games ever made ( even if we all rage from time to time and say it sucks, lol ), with friends you don't have many opportunities to socialize with nowadays.

Winter is coming, more people will be indoors, and we possibly have a chance to continue playing, if even for a little while, the one game that has kept us coming back for over 14-15 years. There's a reason we keep playing. Because this game, as much as we hate to admit it, is very fun. Games like this do not last this fucking long.. 15 years.. Like, that's almost unheard of. Never was as popular as cs, but somehow kept going until the last couple months.

If you read this essay, and agree. Show some support. This depends on all of our support, as a community.
Last edited by nomis on September 2014, edited 5 times in total.

nomis

Re: Bring it Back

Also, no more complicated anti cheat client. I had issues with it myself. I think if even me and a couple others would do the basic AC admin thing ( non-biased of course ), and hopefully everyone would be trustworthy, and try not to ruin the last chances of everyone having a fun time by being a cheating dork.. Things could actually take a huge turn for the better.

Just a thought. Love you guys :)

cassinoroyale
Donor
Clans: d7, @ NeT, CNB, dW, MVPz, Owned, rr, dodod, iwa, 3h

Post by cassinoroyale » September 2014

I'd play for sure. Missing the chance or playing competitive dod once a week again seems impossible, but that's me. Going forward, I'd stick with the AC client though. If you have issues with the client people need to fix them instead or creating a list as excuses for not using. Legit play leverages competitiveness not to mention making admjn/AC work way easier. Tin Bad put a lot of resources into developing something that should be around already for obvious reasons and it shouldn't be forgotten. Unfortunately the timing of making it mandatory during an on going season was a poor decision since the client had some initial limitations depending certain factors, however, disregarding it entirely in a possible comeback (specially after half of active dod players migrated to csgo and it's hackfest) would basically be another bad decision taken in spite of community response in the compendium of bad decisions compendium the game already has. inb4allowingbeanerstoplay.

nomis

cassinoroyale wrote:I'd play for sure. Missing the chance or playing competitive dod once a week again seems impossible, but that's me. Going forward, I'd stick with the AC client though. If you have issues with the client people need to fix them instead or creating a list as excuses for not using. Legit play leverages competitiveness not to mention making admjn/AC work way easier. Tin Bad put a lot of resources into developing something that should be around already for obvious reasons and it shouldn't be forgotten. Unfortunately the timing of making it mandatory during an on going season was a poor decision since the client had some initial limitations depending certain factors, however, disregarding it entirely in a possible comeback (specially after half of active dod players migrated to csgo and it's hackfest) would basically be another bad decision taken in spite of community response in the compendium of bad decisions compendium the game already has. inb4allowingbeanerstoplay.

The problem is, I noticed something about the AC client made quite a few players stop playing.. I don't know. I wish people could just be honest with themselves, but I feel that a non biased AC team for a smaller community would work just fine. I feel like I can tell if someone is cheating from watching a demo twice, once with no wallhacks, and with wallhacks on after. The AC client for one, wouldn't work for me even after trying 3 different versions one time, and on one occasion, I swore that I recorded and took screenshots.. but they were nowhere to be found after.. I think it's too much pressure to put on a small tight knit community like this, especially if it's not a perfect client. But I digress. There's more to it than the AC client.

As far as the south americans playing.. They've been some of the few who still stayed dedicated, a month or two ago when no one would 12man anymore, I rang a couple times in scrims with them. If I can drop 50's with high ping playing legit, against "beaners" who supposedly cheat.. I seriously doubt there's much going on. Only a couple of them ever made me question their legitimacy. They may ping high, but they are still valuable to the community in the fact that they actually care about playing, even after being outcasted on occasions.

An1maL
Clans: unplugged!

Post by An1maL » September 2014

nomis wrote:something about the AC client made quite a few players stop playing..

yeh, um...the hackers? can't see why a community would not want to use an AC client if one is available. must be some issues with it I'm not aware of ? not used it before

(dunno why i'm in this thread, dod in europe is totally dead and likely not coming back this time :D )

nomis

An1maL wrote:
nomis wrote:something about the AC client made quite a few players stop playing..

yeh, um...the hackers? can't see why a community would not want to use an AC client if one is available. must be some issues with it I'm not aware of ? not used it before

(dunno why i'm in this thread, dod in europe is totally dead and likely not coming back this time :D )

It totally is sketchy haha, if anything, it might have detected some stuff that wasn't considered "hacks", but was definitely illegal stuff in the config or something. I know for a fact that a few people were definitely scared of the client. It's pretty sad tbh. Such an easy game, but some people can't stay legit.

Joshinator
Clans: [38th], {DoZ}, )sC(, Dr.

Post by Joshinator » September 2014

I miss matches.

I'd rather play with someone who screwed with thier script illegally than play with no one at all.

Less serious, more fun. Hell, leave all chat on during matches. Or maybe not.

I just want to play the game.

Red---
Clans: {DoZ}, )sC(, HGH|, p2o!

Post by Red--- » September 2014

I go to work at 2:30 in the morning but im completely willing to play on whatever day it lands on......I just like dod.

ohhhhbeeee

Post by ohhhhbeeee » September 2014

I wouldn't play without an ac.

Quikey
Clans: .

Post by Quikey » September 2014

I think it's funny so many people quit right around the time the client came out. Chicken or the egg kinda thing, was it DoD's time, or was it the client? Either way, I see no reason to abandon the client. I had issues running it at first but TinBad fixed it up for me. I absolutely don't want to stop running the client.

As for the day, I'd rather it be Sunday. I'd think less people would be out and about at 9 EST as opposed to Wednesday. But with that being said, if it changes to Wednesday, I'll still play.

ao_

Post by ao_ » September 2014

Sorry Austin, DoD will never be a casual affair as long as team THUNDER exists.

sevEN
Clans: THUNDER

Post by sevEN » September 2014

ao_ wrote:Sorry Austin, DoD will never be a casual affair as long as team THUNDER exists.

do you think we practiced a single time outside of matches over the past 2 years or something? because you would be wrong.

but within the time frame of the matches we show up for on sunday, we aren't trying to lose.. and neither is anyone else. should we unbind crouch, permanently bind the w button, use volume 0, and have all 12 players have at it in the "middle" of every map? i don't understand what you are getting at.

sevEN
Clans: THUNDER

Post by sevEN » September 2014

but in response to the thread topic, i work a 9-6 type job that usually has me leaving around 6:15-6:30 after all work is wrapped up. and this is PST. so for a lot of you EST guys who like to play at 9EST, it makes it tough for me to play. but i do agree that there is a lot more going on for people on sundays, as opposed to "after work" hours during the middle of the week. over the last 4 years, i had to make my teams postpone weekday matches to 10pm EST so that i had time to race home from work and get online by 7pst my time. and there were plenty of times that i was joining the server damn close to the 10:15EST deadline for the other team to start calling a forfeit.

But generally speaking, i dont think thunder would have a problem waiting until 10est to play, so i like this idea a lot better. especially during football season as i strongly prefer to not miss sunday night football to play dod.

Todo
Clans: -|Ea|-, b3, dboLT, bubbles/sparkles, schweiss, bootman, gg #awfulworks, 151

Post by Todo » September 2014

sevEN wrote:but in response to the thread topic, i work a 9-6 type job that usually has me leaving around 6:15-6:30 after all work is wrapped up. and this is PST. so for a lot of you EST guys who like to play at 9EST, it makes it tough for me to play. but i do agree that there is a lot more going on for people on sundays, as opposed to "after work" hours during the middle of the week. over the last 4 years, i had to make my teams postpone weekday matches to 10pm EST so that i had time to race home from work and get online by 7pst my time. and there were plenty of times that i was joining the server damn close to the 10:15EST deadline for the other team to start calling a forfeit.

But generally speaking, i dont think thunder would have a problem waiting until 10est to play, so i like this idea a lot better. especially during football season as i strongly prefer to not miss sunday night football to play dod.

you guys, he works past 6

lolinus
Clans: Flawless
D.R.U.G.S
Gskill
#family

Post by lolinus » September 2014

Goodluck with this, too bad Tin Bad and Milo have given up.

Theworst
Clans: ~Casual // Critical Mass // Exodus // Gentlemens Club // Midwinter // Duality~

Post by Theworst » September 2014

Let it go, move on.

hildebrand
Donor
Clans: {GSR}, prFnd, rmX., The Gentlemen, mtp, winnfield, |o/, akk!, iwa

Post by hildebrand » September 2014

Todo wrote:
sevEN wrote:but in response to the thread topic, i work a 9-6 type job that usually has me leaving around 6:15-6:30 after all work is wrapped up. and this is PST. so for a lot of you EST guys who like to play at 9EST, it makes it tough for me to play. but i do agree that there is a lot more going on for people on sundays, as opposed to "after work" hours during the middle of the week. over the last 4 years, i had to make my teams postpone weekday matches to 10pm EST so that i had time to race home from work and get online by 7pst my time. and there were plenty of times that i was joining the server damn close to the 10:15EST deadline for the other team to start calling a forfeit.

I barely know you Todo but I'll be harsh. Fuck off. Nobody wants to hear anyone's excuses.

MAKE ROOM. You DoD nerds enjoy playing video games? Create time. Why be stressed with work? Relax, kick back, be competitive, go to sleep.

hildebrand
Donor

Post by hildebrand » September 2014

Theworst wrote:Let it go, move on.

lol. You and milo love DoD.

nomis

hildebrand wrote:
Todo wrote:

I barely know you Todo but I'll be harsh. Fuck off. Nobody wants to hear anyone's excuses.

MAKE ROOM. You DoD nerds enjoy playing video games? Create time. Why be stressed with work? Relax, kick back, be competitive, go to sleep.

It's definitely not hard to make room, but like I mentioned before, people who work certain industries may have to work the late weekend shifts. At least if they want full time hours. That's why I feel like a wednesday night would work well for just about everyone, if they took the initiative to book off that day, or at least not make plans until after the match is done. I haven't spoken to tin bad or milo in a while, so I kind of made this post on a whim, hoping to inspire people, even if only a little bit. Regardless of everything, tpg can always be around, as long as a couple people are willing to put a bit of time aside and run it, when even in this state of dod, it may be a gamble in general. I don't see a reason why everyone should have to suffer from lack of interest, or time constraints, when there is definitely some people who are still interested in playing. Fuck, even like 8 teams.. It's still doable.. but maybe people can make a sacrifice and try not to make stacked teams like thunder. I've even considered joining a pub clan lately if no competitive stuff picks up.

nomis

It's not about winning or losing anymore, or being the best. It's about the gameplay that every other game lacks. Where one player can go ham, and cap out once or twice and completely change the tide, or even kill a few players, while your other teammates take advantage and take control of parts of the map. I've been on teams that have played well, but lost almost every match in a season. I was never discouraged. You shouldn't take it so seriously, just try to have fun with friends once a week. You never know, comebacks and complete upsets can happen. That's the beauty of an old, simple game like this. it's not meant for anything but fast paced tight first person shooter action, where a persons skill is determined by thinking fast, and aiming and reacting even faster, but also communicating with your teammates to take advantage of good situations.

As time went on, this started to go downhill, and individual skill and teamwork didn't even mean anything. It just became a mess. This will always be one of the most straightforward, simple yet skillful games that ever existed. CS:GO is not bad.. But I personally can't get into it, even though it's better than the majority of competitive FPS's out there, something about dod will always be better to me.

ward
Clans: elephant shockwave infamy teamlol llama patrol

Post by ward » September 2014

The difference is that skill in CS:Go is not just defined by one's ability to shoot people in the face. As much as I liked DoD, that's really all the game came down to: ability to shoot things. The direction that CS:GO has been heading is where DoD should be, if they ever decide to create something similar.

Todo
Clans: -|Ea|-, b3, dboLT, bubbles/sparkles, schweiss, bootman, gg #awfulworks, 151

Post by Todo » October 2014

hildebrand wrote:
Todo wrote:

this doesn't make sense to me as a response to what i said?

hildebrand
Donor

Post by hildebrand » October 2014

Todo wrote:
hildebrand wrote:
Todo wrote:

this doesn't make sense to me as a response to what i said?

You are right. Misread. lol. Fixed.

Theworst
Clans: ~Casual // Critical Mass // Exodus // Gentlemens Club // Midwinter // Duality~

Post by Theworst » October 2014

ward wrote:The difference is that skill in CS:Go is not just defined by one's ability to shoot people in the face. As much as I liked DoD, that's really all the game came down to: ability to shoot things. The direction that CS:GO has been heading is where DoD should be, if they ever decide to create something similar.

This.

CS:GO has a lot to do with game sense. Knowing the timings of when an enemy hits a specific part of the map so you don't waste seconds of a smoke throwing it early or pop flashing the spot to catch them sleeping. Being able to cycle your opponents options through your head while making your own play. Outplaying your opponent by juking death cams, throw flash bangs/smokes in the opposite direction of your intended play to make them rotate out of sites. Out positioning the enemy, knowing when, when not to peek and staying alive until your teammates can rotate to retake sites so you don't engage in a bunch of 1v1 battles and have no one with you to trade the kill. Spray control is a big factor too.

Just some self promotion~

Joey
Clans: infinite //

Post by Joey » October 2014

Wednesday could work