Beef or Whey

Relax, lounge around, and find out who hacks.

Moderators: darkrabbi, squatta, mogers, gloin, scorch-

Jstampz
Clans: {GSR}, soul!, -=WR=-, sb', tbh, LIGHTNING, -_-, Rob and the Heartbreakers, honorary member of dpk.

Re: Beef or Whey

Post by Jstampz » February 2016

You're idiotic "professional" input is just as ignorant as my 3% body fat level.

I'm not a power lifter who looks to build brute strength. This "lift and eat" mentality you swear by does not allow my body to gain the significant amount of muscle I desire. I'm at a very low body fat percentage. Lower than each of yours- I guarantee it. Whether it's 3% or 13%, it's relatively low. I was tested on an Omran body fat percentage machine. It read 3% body fat. I paid nothing, I simply stepped on it, followed the guys instructions, said thank you, and left. It could have been completely wrong, but I read what I read.

Alex Kirk, my body is not like yours, or Mr. Harter's. Joey use to be fat and I'd imagine you aren't the skinniest man either. I have been skinny my entire life with a higher level of difficulty to gain, and sustain a good amount of muscle. I don't waste my time counting macros/micros. I have a general idea of protein/carb levels in my food. I HAVE to eat a lot to get big. Eat big, get big "bro".

It's a fact, that carbs right after a workout is one of the most beneficial nutrients you need to restore what you've lost during your workout.

You jack fucks may wait hours to eat, but as for me, I'll continue my eating habits while continuing to gain muscle.

I understand AO has a quality point. The window your body has to supply nutrients back into the system after a workout is larger than imagine. But I rather drink my shake RIGHT after a workout. It works for me, and MY body. So I'll stick to it. You stick to cycling bud.

Your jealousy is sweet Kirk. I miss it greatly. **kisses**

Thank you Beas for the helpful information. It seems we have similar eating habits. I've heard some good things about Beef protein and was only wondering if it was a better powder to shoot for, since it's cheaper.

devin-
Clans: Illuminati, 文, nerdvirg, {PC}, sunnyville, gskill

Post by devin- » February 2016

skinfold caliper's are much more accurate for calculating body fat %

nhoj

Post by nhoj » February 2016

Instead of being a dickhead and ignoring what everyone said, after all they are trying to help you. You should consider taking their advice and add it to your daily routine as they won't harm you at all. Don't forget supplements are called supplements for a reason, to fill the gaps your diet . If you don't want to wait an hour to eat it, why don't you make a lunch box and eat it after your done? It's going to save you a lot of money in the long run. Chicken and veggies is a cheap and simple option since chicken taste delicious even if it's unheated.

If you still think you can't reach the goal at your current state, hire a professional trainer who knows what (s)he is doing.

If you keep a tunnel vision on diet and training and thinking what works for you at your current state is the best and only solution before cycling around with different routines. You will most likely find more problems than not gaining muscles.

Shit talking about the people trying to help you will definitely not help you..

Jstampz
Clans: {GSR}, soul!, -=WR=-, sb', tbh, LIGHTNING, -_-, Rob and the Heartbreakers, honorary member of dpk.

nhoj wrote:Instead of being a dickhead and ignoring what everyone said, after all they are trying to help you. You should consider taking their advice and add it to your daily routine as they won't harm you at all. Don't forget supplements are called supplements for a reason, to fill the gaps your diet . If you don't want to wait an hour to eat it, why don't you make a lunch box and eat it after your done? It's going to save you a lot of money in the long run. Chicken and veggies is a cheap and simple option since chicken taste delicious even if it's unheated.

If you still think you can't reach the goal at your current state, hire a professional trainer who knows what (s)he is doing.

If you keep a tunnel vision on diet and training and thinking what works for you at your current state is the best and only solution before cycling around with different routines. You will most likely find more problems than not gaining muscles.

Shit talking about the people trying to help you will definitely not help you..
Advice? Calling me a "piece of shit" isn't much advice bud.

I've tried numerous routines. Switching from various meals, times, and even workouts. I've found what best fits me, and I am sticking to it. I'll take some of what is said and apply to my routine but for the most part what was said doesn't apply to a guy trying to pack on a large amount of muscle. The tips given by Joey, and Alex (if you call them tips), mostly apply to someone who desires to just lift weights.

The only useful advice given were from you, Beas, and AO.

I'm not trying to be a dick head here, but when you open a forum to name call and be an ass such as Kirk so obviously did, I will fire back.

As said before, I thank you all for your input.

kirk
Clans: feat6, aids, x[m], ptm, snowmen, NoGo, GI, 50cal, moNster, te amo, gameslaves, winnfield, koala, iwa

Post by kirk » February 2016

Jstampz wrote:You're idiotic "professional" input is just as ignorant as my 3% body fat level.

I'm not a power lifter who looks to build brute strength. This "lift and eat" mentality you swear by does not allow my body to gain the significant amount of muscle I desire. I'm at a very low body fat percentage. Lower than each of yours- I guarantee it. Whether it's 3% or 13%, it's relatively low. I was tested on an Omran body fat percentage machine. It read 3% body fat. I paid nothing, I simply stepped on it, followed the guys instructions, said thank you, and left. It could have been completely wrong, but I read what I read.
You call me idiotic while not understanding how impossible it'd be to be 3% body fact for any extended period of time.

Your body does not defy the law of thermodynamics, bro. Sorry, you're just not that special. If anything the "lift and eat" mentality IS for YOUR body type specifically. Why don't you eat a fucking jar of peanut butter, a pound of cashews, or drink a gallon of whole milk every day. It's not hard in the slightest, you're just favoring nutrient dense foods (which is good) and relying on them for weight gain without understanding that they tend to be calorie-sparse. That's a ridiculously uphill battle; you need to incorporate more calorie-dense foods. Calories in/calories out, dude. This is like algebra.
Alex Kirk, my body is not like yours, or Mr. Harter's. Joey use to be fat and I'd imagine you aren't the skinniest man either. I have been skinny my entire life with a higher level of difficulty to gain, and sustain a good amount of muscle. I don't waste my time counting macros/micros. I have a general idea of protein/carb levels in my food. I HAVE to eat a lot to get big. Eat big, get big "bro".
What the fuck why do you think everyone is saying "eat and lift"? You are entirely incapable of actually absorbing what people are telling you.
It's a fact, that carbs right after a workout is one of the most beneficial nutrients you need to restore what you've lost during your workout.
Really? Provide some evidence to support these facts! God I wonder how people on ketogenic diets do it when they eat 0g carbs per day. How is it that they get big without eating carbs? Please do explain this to me since I clearly know way more than you!

What makes you think you need to restore anything after a workout unless glycogen stores are depleted? Do you know what glycogen is? If glycogen and free state fatty acids are not depleted, doing both of which would be an astounding feat if you are not doing massive amounts of cardio, then what the fuck are you even talking about?
You jack fucks may wait hours to eat, but as for me, I'll continue my eating habits while continuing to gain muscle.

I understand AO has a quality point. The window your body has to supply nutrients back into the system after a workout is larger than imagine. But I rather drink my shake RIGHT after a workout. It works for me, and MY body. So I'll stick to it. You stick to cycling bud.
No one said you're wrong to do it, just that it's unnecessary. You could drink that shake hours after the fact and be fine. Human metabolism has evolved for hundreds of thousands of years; you won't lose muscle if you don't drink your precious protein shake precisely 10 minutes after lifting, dude.

If you are continuing to gain muscle then what do you need our input for? One second you struggle, the next you're gaining, pick one.
Thank you Beas for the helpful information. It seems we have similar eating habits. I've heard some good things about Beef protein and was only wondering if it was a better powder to shoot for, since it's cheaper.
Kid doesn't know what amino acids are.
Jstampz wrote:Advice? Calling me a "piece of shit" isn't much advice bud.

I've tried numerous routines. Switching from various meals, times, and even workouts. I've found what best fits me, and I am sticking to it. I'll take some of what is said and apply to my routine but for the most part what was said doesn't apply to a guy trying to pack on a large amount of muscle. The tips given by Joey, and Alex (if you call them tips), mostly apply to someone who desires to just lift weights.

The only useful advice given were from you, Beas, and AO.

I'm not trying to be a dick head here, but when you open a forum to name call and be an ass such as Kirk so obviously did, I will fire back.

As said before, I thank you all for your input.
Calling you a piece of shit wasn't the advice. Read above me calling you a piece of shit. There's your knowledge.

kirk
Clans: feat6, aids, x[m], ptm, snowmen, NoGo, GI, 50cal, moNster, te amo, gameslaves, winnfield, koala, iwa

LIKE WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT WEIGHT GAIN WHEN YOU EAT EGG WHITES? Shit gets me HEATED. DAMN.

Beas
Clans: Highball, TEC, pandemic, 63rd, 85th, nG, mvpz, k^3

Post by Beas » February 2016

Jstampz

1. With my current diet, I eat 7-8 egg whites every morning. Throughout the day I eat 3-4 whole eggs. (Yoke included). If I were to eat all whole eggs throughout the day. I'd be going through a dozen eggs A DAY. Egg whites are easier and more affordable to me. Thanks

2. Amino acids are compounds that make up proteins. Amino acids are crucial for protein synthesis. Amino acids are the building blocks of muscle. Thanks

3. From what I've read, you all focus little on bodybuilding and more on power lifting. Correct? Isn't that what most of your workouts consist of? I'm guessing your workout intels quite a bit of compound movements such as power cleans, hang cleans, box squats, and more power movements? Working on speed, and strength? My workouts consist of 1-2 compounds movements depending on what split I'm currently working through. I focus on the muscle and don't give two fucks about strength. I had a strength coach throughout high school that built the "eat big, and lift bro" mentality. That mantality builds more strength than anything in my experience. I've had the most muscle gained from doing focused workouts, squeezing and contracting each muscle and feeling a huge pump. I pre-exhaust the muscle, then end my workouts with a compound movement to totally kill the muscle.Thanks

4. I stated previously my 3% body fat level could be wrong. So you continuesly telling me how outrageous it is to think my level is so low is ignorant to say the least. The machine read 3%, and that's what I went by. Thanks

5. I work twice as hard as the normal lifter to gain muscle. I have to. I pack my system full of mostly clean protein rich foods, and carbs. I'm no stickler to eating clean, but it makes me feel better throughout the day. Since focusing on bodybuilding rather than powerlifting I have gained 15-17 pounds (not sure how much is water weight), but the number on the scale is bigger, my muscles are bigger, and I'm more vascular than I've ever been. Thanks

6. The main reason to consume carbs post-workout is to replenish the muscle glycogen that you burned during your workout. As you train, your main fuel source is muscle glycogen. Glycogen is the storage form of glucose. It is composed of long strings of glucose molecules with numerous branches. The glucose break from the glycogen chain as needed in order to generate ATP, which transports chemical energy and is crucial for muscle contractions. The best way to replenish muscle glycogen stores after workouts is to consume high-glycemic (fast-digesting) carbs as soon as possible.

7. The main focus of this thread was to ask about beef protein. I'd heard some good things about it. Some guys had stomach issues with whey protein powder and found comfort drinking beef protein. My former strength coach said the amino acid profile is better and it's natural. I was simply wondering if some of you guys liked it or not. Thanks

8. I'm young and I have much to learn. But I don't take advice well from arrogant ass hats such as yourself. I may have incorrect understandings of certain concepts, but that in no way means I'm an idiot on the matter. Everyone's body acts, and reacts differently to lifting weights, and food/supplement consumption. If you're going to be an ass, I will not take your advice. I may be wrong in some areas, and I apologize. Sorry bro. Love you.

kirk

Jstampz wrote:1. With my current diet, I eat 7-8 egg whites every morning. Throughout the day I eat 3-4 whole eggs. (Yoke included). If I were to eat all whole eggs throughout the day. I'd be going through a dozen eggs A DAY. Egg whites are easier and more affordable to me. Thanks
How are egg whites cheaper than eggs? A carton of eggs is like $2. Where do you live where egg whites are cheaper (from a $/calorie standpoint) than an egg that is less than $0.20?
2. Amino acids are compounds that make up proteins. Amino acids are crucial for protein synthesis. Amino acids are the building blocks of muscle. Thanks
Well at least you know what Google is.
3. From what I've read, you all focus little on bodybuilding and more on power lifting. Correct? Isn't that what most of your workouts consist of? I'm guessing your workout intels quite a bit of compound movements such as power cleans, hang cleans, box squats, and more power movements? Working on speed, and strength? My workouts consist of 1-2 compounds movements depending on what split I'm currently working through. I focus on the muscle and don't give two fucks about strength. I had a strength coach throughout high school that built the "eat big, and lift bro" mentality. That mantality builds more strength than anything in my experience. I've had the most muscle gained from doing focused workouts, squeezing and contracting each muscle and feeling a huge pump. I pre-exhaust the muscle, then end my workouts with a compound movement to totally kill the muscle.Thanks
What the fuck am I even reading...

No, I've never focused on power lifting. I don't even know what power lifting routines look like outside of low reps and crazy high volume/frequency. Regardless of your strength vs. bodybuilding, you should still make compound motions your priority. Muscle-specific workouts were CREATED specifically for people on steroids BECAUSE they extend their level/duration of protein synthesis. IF you are one of those people who has a day devoted to chest and you do it once/week, you are doing it wrong. Protein synthesis peaks and then returns to baseline in natural lifters in a 24-48 hour period. Thus, you want to stimulate your muscles, where you stimulate MORE through compound movements, and then do the same thing again within 1-2 days. Once protein synthesis is back to baseline, you should be back to lifting (this includes if you're going for muscle gain). The problem with doing intense volume in a given day and sacrificing frequency (i.e., doing each muscle group once/week), is that there is a MASSIVE diminishing return on gains for each lift you do. Meaning, the amount of stimulation you get on your fourth chest exercise is but a fraction of what you got on your first.

Mathematically this means that an exponentially reduced gain per lift in a given day is suboptimal. It makes MORE sense to do 4 lifts for your chest spread across 2 different days than doing all 4 lifts in a given day UNLESS you do steroids. This is the most very basic premise of protein synthesis, which is the mechanism behind muscle gain.

If you are killing each muscle group just once per week and not doing steroids, you are doing a suboptimal routine. It does not get any more basic than that if that is the case.
4. I stated previously my 3% body fat level could be wrong. So you continuesly telling me how outrageous it is to think my level is so low is ignorant to say the least. The machine read 3%, and that's what I went by. Thanks
Right, and it's ignorant that you believed it.
5. I work twice as hard as the normal lifter to gain muscle. I have to. I pack my system full of mostly clean protein rich foods, and carbs. I'm no stickler to eating clean, but it makes me feel better throughout the day. Since focusing on bodybuilding rather than powerlifting I have gained 15-17 pounds (not sure how much is water weight), but the number on the scale is bigger, my muscles are bigger, and I'm more vascular than I've ever been. Thanks
Cool story. It is also meaningless.
6. The main reason to consume carbs post-workout is to replenish the muscle glycogen that you burned during your workout. As you train, your main fuel source is muscle glycogen. Glycogen is the storage form of glucose. It is composed of long strings of glucose molecules with numerous branches. The glucose break from the glycogen chain as needed in order to generate ATP, which transports chemical energy and is crucial for muscle contractions. The best way to replenish muscle glycogen stores after workouts is to consume high-glycemic (fast-digesting) carbs as soon as possible.
Except glycogen depletion for non-cardio athletes is rare unless you do a low carb diet. And even IF you deplete glycogen there are still other physiological systems that would not results in immediate catabolism. Even long-distance cardio athletes struggle to go catabolic. I had to bike for over 2 hours on an empty stomach to get there (this being in 2010, so a while ago).
7. The main focus of this thread was to ask about beef protein. I'd heard some good things about it. Some guys had stomach issues with whey protein powder and found comfort drinking beef protein. My former strength coach said the amino acid profile is better and it's natural. I was simply wondering if some of you guys liked it or not. Thanks
"Amino profile is better"

Awesome. So you don't know anything about them.
8. I'm young and I have much to learn. But I don't take advice well from arrogant ass hats such as yourself. I may have incorrect understandings of certain concepts, but that in no way means I'm an idiot on the matter. Everyone's body acts, and reacts differently to lifting weights, and food/supplement consumption. If you're going to be an ass, I will not take your advice. Sorry bro. Love you
Being an ass doesn't nullify knowledge brah.

Jstampz

kirk wrote:
Jstampz wrote:1. With my current diet, I eat 7-8 egg whites every morning. Throughout the day I eat 3-4 whole eggs. (Yoke included). If I were to eat all whole eggs throughout the day. I'd be going through a dozen eggs A DAY. Egg whites are easier and more affordable to me. Thanks
How are egg whites cheaper than eggs? A carton of eggs is like $2. Where do you live where egg whites are cheaper (from a $/calorie standpoint) than an egg that is less than $0.20?
Well at least you know what Google is.
What the fuck am I even reading...

No, I've never focused on power lifting. I don't even know what power lifting routines look like outside of low reps and crazy high volume/frequency. Regardless of your strength vs. bodybuilding, you should still make compound motions your priority. Muscle-specific workouts were CREATED specifically for people on steroids BECAUSE they extend their level/duration of protein synthesis. IF you are one of those people who has a day devoted to chest and you do it once/week, you are doing it wrong. Protein synthesis peaks and then returns to baseline in natural lifters in a 24-48 hour period. Thus, you want to stimulate your muscles, where you stimulate MORE through compound movements, and then do the same thing again within 1-2 days. Once protein synthesis is back to baseline, you should be back to lifting (this includes if you're going for muscle gain). The problem with doing intense volume in a given day and sacrificing frequency (i.e., doing each muscle group once/week), is that there is a MASSIVE diminishing return on gains for each lift you do. Meaning, the amount of stimulation you get on your fourth chest exercise is but a fraction of what you got on your first.

Mathematically this means that an exponentially reduced gain per lift in a given day is suboptimal. It makes MORE sense to do 4 lifts for your chest spread across 2 different days than doing all 4 lifts in a given day UNLESS you do steroids. This is the most very basic premise of protein synthesis, which is the mechanism behind muscle gain.

If you are killing each muscle group just once per week and not doing steroids, you are doing a suboptimal routine. It does not get any more basic than that if that is the case.
Right, and it's ignorant that you believed it.
Cool story. It is also meaningless.
Except glycogen depletion for non-cardio athletes is rare unless you do a low carb diet. And even IF you deplete glycogen there are still other physiological systems that would not results in immediate catabolism. Even long-distance cardio athletes struggle to go catabolic. I had to bike for over 2 hours on an empty stomach to get there (this being in 2010, so a while ago).
"Amino profile is better"

Awesome. So you don't know anything about them.
8. I'm young and I have much to learn. But I don't take advice well from arrogant ass hats such as yourself. I may have incorrect understandings of certain concepts, but that in no way means I'm an idiot on the matter. Everyone's body acts, and reacts differently to lifting weights, and food/supplement consumption. If you're going to be an ass, I will not take your advice. Sorry bro. Love you
Being an ass doesn't nullify knowledge brah.

Where the fuck do you get eggs for that fucking cheap?

A dozen eggs in Collierville, Tennessee is roughly $2.50-$3.00. (High tax). So if I'm going through a dozen eggs a day. 7x3=21. Roughly, depending on how much the eggs are. It's cheaper to buy two large containers of egg whites. $8.

Google, and my high school biology teacher. Thanks sweet heart

Sunday: all chest, little compound movements
Monday: Legs
Tuesday: back day
Wednesday: shoulders and traps
Thursday: chest and triceps; I incorporate compound movements to hit the triceps as well
Friday: legs
Saturday: back and bicep day

This split changes, and I'm constantly changing to confuse the muscle. I'm not completely against compound movements, but I don't make my workouts focused on compound movements. I hit every muscle group twice, except shoulders and traps because my feeder workouts are shoulder movements.

I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT BEEF PROTEIN ERGO MY FUCKING POST ABOUT IT

kirk

Jstampz wrote:Where the fuck do you get eggs for that fucking cheap?

A dozen eggs in Collierville, Tennessee is roughly $2.50-$3.00. (High tax). So if I'm going through a dozen eggs a day. 7x3=21. Roughly, depending on how much the eggs are. It's cheaper to buy two large containers of egg whites. $8.
I've never heard of a container of egg whites being cheaper than eggs at the price PER calorie. But egg white tastes awful so I haven't bought them in a while.
Then you didn't learn anything because if you understood amino acids then you'd realize your whey vs. beef question is absurd.
Thursday: chest and triceps; I incorporate compound movements to hit the triceps as well

This split changes, and I'm constantly changing to confuse the muscle. I'm not completely against compound movements, but I don't make my workouts focused on compound movements. I hit every muscle group twice, except shoulders and traps because my feeder workouts are shoulder movements.
Right, and so based on the most rudimentary physiology, your routine is suboptimal. Cue the "but it works for me!!111!!" statement.
I would just generalize to "I do not know much about protein."

Jstampz

You know what, you are a fucking genius Alex Kirk. You must be THE SMARTEST person I've ever met. You must be some sort of performance scientist studying muscle development. Every single thing you've said, I will use in my everyday life. Thank you so much for blessing me with your almighty wisdom. You're almost as knowleable as Google. I owe you dude. I owe you big time.

Jstampz

kirk wrote:
Jstampz wrote:Where the fuck do you get eggs for that fucking cheap?

I've never heard of a container of egg whites being cheaper than eggs at the price PER calorie. But egg white tastes awful so I haven't bought them in a while.
Then you didn't learn anything because if you understood amino acids then you'd realize your whey vs. beef question is absurd.

Right, and so based on the most rudimentary physiology, your routine is suboptimal. Cue the "but it works for me!!111!!" statement.
I would just generalize to "I do not know much about protein."

Dude, it was a simple question if people liked Beef protein supplement over a Whey Protein supplement.

You've busted my balls, now let me recooperate with my eggs whites, and protein shake

Egg whites aren't cheaper, but at my consumption level, whole eggs are 5-7$ more.

rymoz
Clans: koalaz, veracity!, 5.5, THUNDER

Post by rymoz » February 2016

Why lift when it's all about the face?

sevEN
Clans: THUNDER

Post by sevEN » February 2016

im going to cook me a plate of 24 egg whites and a tall glass of water w/ 5 scoops of whey while i watch alex rape everyone

stile
Clans: dpk

Post by stile » February 2016

Good ol 1911. It never fails. How a simple post can turn into a flame war.

Beas
Clans: Highball, TEC, pandemic, 63rd, 85th, nG, mvpz, k^3

Post by Beas » February 2016

sevEN wrote:im going to cook me a plate of 24 egg whites and a tall glass of water w/ 5 scoops of whey while i watch alex rape everyone
yes, alex is saying a lot of things right...he just going about it wrong and being an ass for no reason. But there are some things alex is saying that he is wrong about.
Last edited by Beas on February 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Jstampz

Beas wrote:
sevEN wrote:im going to cook me a plate of 24 egg whites and a tall glass of water w/ 5 scoops of whey while i watch alex rape everyone
yes, alex is saying a lot of things right...he just going about it wrong and being an ass for no reason. But there are some things he is saying that he is wrong about.

Jstampz

I'm still wondering as to why my workout is so "suboptimal". My workouts are focused getting the greatest pump possible. I pre-exhaust the muscle with movements that stretch the muscle fibers and force tons of blood into the muscle, then jump into compound movements, followed by more muscle focused workouts.

So if I were to workout chest and tris.

My workout would look something like this:

Bent over cable flys changing from the squeeze at the bottom of my pectoral muscle, and upper pectoral muscle.
5 sets of 10-16. (Wide rep range because I go by feel rather than number) I pyramid in weight.
Paired with cable rope push downs 5 sets of as many as possible pyramiding in weight.

Then I make my way to bench press. Some days I use smith machine, some days I use free weight. I start with 225 lbs for 8 reps, slow and controlled contracting the muscle throughout the movement. I don't lock my arms out because it fires in your tricep and I want to focus on the chest. I'll then pyramid down in weight and add 3-4 reps per added weight. 4 sets with a final burn out set at 135 lbs
Paired with weighted dips. 4 sets of as many as possible

Then I do incline bench press. Sticking with the same weight for 3 sets. 3 sets for as many as reps as possible
Paired with straight cable bar push downs. 3 sets of as many as possible- starting heavy and working my way down. Burn out set with a medium weight. (A weight I can get a good 8 reps with)

Then I work my way to some sort of chest press machine. Either low or high. I'll stack 90 lbs on each side, and hit it for 12 reps, then pyramid down I weight while controlling the movement.
Paired with skull crushers. 4 sets on both

Then I'll hit another pectoral machine. Depending on how I feel, and where I need the most work. 3-4 sets of as many as possible with a heavy weight.
Paired with overhead tricep extensions

Then I'll finish off with a drop set on bent over cable flys
Paired with bent over DB cable extensions. Start with 10lbs and work my way up to 35 lbs for 8 reps.
3 sets and I'm done.

My pectoral muscles are stretched to the max, full of blood and throbbing. Even in my compound movements I try to focus on one muscle at a time. Of course with bench press, your shoulder can activate easily, but I try to squeeze the shit out of the muscles I'm working.

sevEN

15 meals a day at 200 cals per meal = fastest metabolism, saw it on the cover of men's health magazine with a picture of brad pit's face.

sevEN

and stamp, in my 2 posts i made it absolutely clear i was not insulting you and that i respect what you're doing, but you felt the need to bash me anyways. not sure why.. but regardless of my physique right now, i can guarantee that nothing you are doing / have ever done is as difficult as losing 115 pounds in 8 months. when you accomplish something with your fitness or in life in general that i can consider impressive, i will let you know. until then, fuck you and your "3% body fat"

sevEN

current physique =/= knowledge, as you have very clearly proven to us all

Jstampz

sevEN wrote:and stamp, in my 2 posts i made it absolutely clear i was not insulting you and that i respect what you're doing, but you felt the need to bash me anyways. not sure why.. but regardless of my physique right now, i can guarantee that nothing you are doing / have ever done is as difficult as losing 115 pounds in 8 months. when you accomplish something with your fitness or in life in general that i can consider impressive, i will let you know. until then, fuck you and your "3% body fat"

My apologies. I mixed yours and Kirks post. Didn't mean to offend you with the weight comment, I was just indicating my metabolism is quicker than most of your alls.

Jstampz

I was watching Rich Piana's video series "Bigger By The Day", and saw him eating a protein cookie.

I fucking love cookies so I looked up possible protein cookies.

Lenny and Larry's Complete Cookie. I'm no vegan, but I'm always up for more protein (assuming you have to eat 7-8 regular cookies to meet a protein goal of 20g of protein?).

These cookies are fucking good. I'll add one whenever I want a snack. A little pricey, but worth the extra penny.

kirk

rymoz wrote:Why lift when it's all about the face?
GOAT post.
Beas wrote:yes, alex is saying a lot of things right...he just going about it wrong and being an ass for no reason. But there are some things alex is saying that he is wrong about.
Feel free to elucidate. I'm open to being wrong so long as there's actual counter-evidence.
Jstampz wrote:I'm still wondering as to why my workout is so "suboptimal". My workouts are focused getting the greatest pump possible. I pre-exhaust the muscle with movements that stretch the muscle fibers and force tons of blood into the muscle, then jump into compound movements, followed by more muscle focused workouts.

So if I were to workout chest and tris...
A few things:

1) If you're getting 225 pounds on bench for eight reps after doing a chest exercise prior, then why do you need to come here for advice? If you're TRULY lifting that weight, which in all honesty is great for someone your age, then you should have zero problems developing mass irrespective of what the rest of your routine looks like. If you're not, then you're simply not eating enough and need to incorporate more fat-dense foods to compensate. When you are gaining mass, you can take some of the focus off protein; a high calorie diet will naturally get you sufficient protein. If you aren't gaining then I would focus way more on fat.

2) The problem is a fundamental misunderstanding of the mechanisms of muscle gain. It's tough NOT to gain strength and/or mass so long as you lift regularly, but it's a question of making optimal gains. The underlying goal is maximizing protein synthesis as much as possible from a temporal standpoint. That is, to have protein synthesis elevated to the point of anabolism for as long as possible every day/week/month. You seem to be approaching this from the perspective that is INTENDED for lifters who use steroids (i.e., hit each muscle group less times/week, but at a greater volume each time). For these individuals, you can lift once per week and stimulate protein synthesis for anywhere between 5-10 days depending on dose. As such, for them, lifting once for any given muscle group means you do not need to touch that muscle group again for ~1 week. The whole "hit one muscle group with a billion lifts in a single day" routine was made for steroid users. Period. Any natural lifter who tries to adopt that routine is misunderstanding the physiological difference for non-steroid lifters and will not be working at an optimum rate.

So if the goal is to maximize protein synthesis and steroid users do so by taking steroids to synthetically raise those levels, what do natural lifters do? Simple, they hit their muscles across more days in a given week. Hitting each muscle group 3x per week > 1-2x per week whether you're going for mass OR strength. So this highlights a trade-off between of two options:

a) Greater volume of lifting across fewer days (e.g., hit chest 1-2x per week, but do 5 exercises each time)
b) Greater frequency of lifting across more days (e.g., hit chest 3-4x per week, but do 2-3 exercises each time)

For natural lifters, option b has clearly been shown to be better for two reasons:

1) Already explained above, frequency = key. You will elevate protein synthesis MORE than with option a. Protein synthesis in natural lifters peaks after 24-48 hours, and after that time if you are not lifting again, then you are not gaining anymore. So frequency helps in gaining muscle throughout the week rather than confining it to 3-4 days total.

2) The argument AGAINST favoring volume is the diminishing ROI for each lift. That is, for every time you hit a given muscle group in a given session, the next lift you do for it will be exponentially less meaningful in terms of stimulating protein synthesis. So if protein synthesis operates on a scale of 0-100 (high - low protein synthesis stimulation), your first chest exercise will be 100 (ideally if we're talking compound lifts). Your next chest exercise will be 80. After that, 50. After that, 20. Etc. Clearly I picked arbitrary numbers, but solely to illustrate that this is an exponential decrease and not a linear one: the difference in muscle stimulation you get between lifts 1 and 2 is smaller than the difference between lifts 3 and 4. That is, as you continue to hit a given muscle group in a single session, the amount of "good" you are doing goes down pretty massively with each lift.

So in the frequency vs. volume debate, frequency wins hands down. You don't get protein synthesis peaked as much as with the volume-based routine, but that is offset and then some by greater frequency. Going by the numbers above:

Volume: 100+80+50+20 across 2 days = "500"
Frequency: 100+80 across 3-4 days = "540" - "720"

If you have all day to lift and are a natural pro bodybuilder, then you can collapse these two and do heavy volume and frequency. But for most of us in the real world who aren't paid to do so, we typically have to trade off between these.

The other thing to note as that "feeling a pump" isn't all that meaningful in terms of actual muscle gain. How you FEEL is less important than what's happening at the molecular level of actual protein synthesis. What we seem to know based on physiological data is that incremental weight increase in terms of the amount of weight you are lifting is far more predictive of muscle (and strength) gains than feeling a pump. Pay less attention to how your muscles feel and more attention to whether you are adding weight to the bar each week or not. Feeling a pump without adding weight to the bar for a year means very little. Feeling no pump while continually adding weight to the bar for a year means a fuck ton.

Compound lifts are better and you should favor those more than isolated movements. Again, this is important for natural lifters because it leads to greater muscle stimulation and greater protein synthesis across multiple muscle groups.